CD player upgrade.

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Just putting the feelers out on a new topic for me.

4 to 500 notes to spend on a new CD player.

Read reviews and take into consideration magazine views and opinions, but what do the masses think.

currently running an Arcam Alpha++, well looked after, paired with Linn amp and Linn speakers.

Pleased with current system, but now my Rega has been upgraded, noticing performance differences. I have an extensive cd collection and don't want the hassle of replicating all of my cd's with the equivalent vinyl.

If it doesn't have to be new which really I think second hand is the best bang for buck in this market,check out rega apollo,planet and arcams own cd82 is a fine player which I used to own and found a decent jump from the cd72t,also if you want to go a step further the arcam cd192 or naim cd5i italic (the first one can be a bit bright If not partnered properly)can be had within your budget.Or if your current cd player is still working well and has a digital out then some will advise a dac would be the best route to take.I honestly wouldn't shell out for a new cd player these days with so much quality on the used market

Primare D30.2 cd player for £400 on flee bay anyone.bargain,was well over 1k back in the day.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If they are still available have a listen to a Cambridge 651c. Twin wolfson dacs....its sounds superb. Might save yourself a few hundred pounds.
Check out the reviews on the Richer website. 40 of them, pretty much, or all 5 star.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
If they are still available have a listen to a Cambridge 651c. Twin wolfson dacs....its sounds superb. Might save yourself a few hundred pounds. Check out the reviews on the Richer website. 40 of them, pretty much, or all 5 star.

Cambridge are phasing out the 651C in favour of the new CXC transport. Consequently there are some 651C bargains out there! Richer are selling off remaining stock for £279. Pretty good when its original RRP was £449.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Brusy said:

Read reviews and take into consideration magazine views and opinions, but what do the masses think.

currently running an Arcam Alpha++, well looked after, paired with Linn amp and Linn speakers.

Pleased with current system, but now my Rega has been upgraded, noticing performance differences. I have an extensive cd collection and don't want the hassle of replicating all of my cd's with the equivalent vinyl.

How old's that cdp?

I was not a fan of the Arcam Alpha 5, thought the Marantz 63SE was far better. Best thing to do is go and hear some new players, Arcam, Rega (toploader), Marantz 8005 are about £600, maybe take your player along to dealer, I found the differences now between cdp to be subtle.

K

keeper of the quays

Get secondhand Cyrus for £500 you should get a good one..or a quad cdp2...both these players are very good bout £350 for quad secondhand..in my opinion these are in a different league..but the Cambridge audio cdp for the money seems very good value...nice machines..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
If they are still available have a listen to a Cambridge 651c. Twin wolfson dacs....its sounds superb. Might save yourself a few hundred pounds. Check out the reviews on the Richer website. 40 of them, pretty much, or all 5 star.

Not many left, check the website. The RRP is £349 so not much of a discount. I had a bad experience with Cambridge at Richer Sounds, I would phone the branch up before travelling any distance and I would not touch any returns or display items. There is a refurbished one on ebay for about £180 in silver. The Marantz 8005 cdp was about £1k rrp?

I must admit the used Primare does look tempting.

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
thanks for the advice people, a lot to think about, and good feedback, appreciated.

will update when I decide what to do.

one thing, would it be difficult to turn my current player(Arcam) into a transport and then acquire a dac out, and what sort of difference would I expect to hear.

Brusy said:

I would also look at Exposure CDPs. Excellent SQ for the money and should marry well with your existing kit. Another forum user Damonster likes Exposure Dac, just in case you want to use the Arcam as transport.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts