CD Player or Streaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
drummerman said:
However, when it comes to ripping a cd collection, I still think Flac makes most sense as a true lossless copy. Storage space is cheap these days and it is easy to batch convert from Flac to another format if and when needed.

regards

+1. Though in my case Apple Lossless.

+1 apple lossless.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
With streaming i will go for the best quality. Till now i think it is Flac. At the moment i don't know which is the best for me; a streamer with harddisk like the new Sony or a streamer like the Pioneer N50 with a NAS server.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
One benefit of having a NAS-based streamer is that multiple devices can access your music collection easily. Also backing-up your collection to a second drive is also very easy. One serious drawback of the Sony HAP-Z1ES, were I seriously in the market for a £2k streamer, is that it won't stream from a NAS drive.

manicm

MajorFubar said:
One benefit of having a NAS-based streamer is that multiple devices can access your music collection easily. Also backing-up your collection to a second drive is also very easy. One serious drawback of the Sony HAP-Z1ES, were I seriously in the market for a £2k streamer, is that it won't stream from a NAS drive.

From what I gleaned is Sony did this deliberately, thinking network streaming is too complicated. And anyway, Naim also have the HDX drive-based player at twice the price. This certainly fills a niche out there. Some buyers themselves don't want the complication of network streaming or multi-room capability.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
True enough, and of course it depends what you envisage you'll want from your system. But it's just worth bearing in mind that if you opt for something with a 'closed ecosystem' that you're a bit knackered if you later decide you want to expand.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
True enough, and of course it depends what you envisage you'll want from your system. But it's just worth bearing in mind that if you opt for something with a 'closed ecosystem' that you're a bit knackered if you later decide you want to expand.

If Carlsberg made streamers then it would look like the Sony with an included screen, HDD and amp, offer wireless DLNA server / renderer capability, borrow the Cyrus Lyric apt-x Bluetooth and DAB, and offer the HDMI inputs of a Linn Sneaky. And you could plug a CD player into it if you really had to :)

manicm

tino said:
MajorFubar said:

If Carlsberg made streamers then it would look like the Sony with an included screen, HDD and amp, offer wireless DLNA server / renderer capability, borrow the Cyrus Lyric apt-x Bluetooth and DAB, and offer the HDMI inputs of a Linn Sneaky. And you could plug a CD player into it if you really had to :)

With the Cyrus Lyric you don't have to 'plug in' a CD player - it has one built-in. Looks aside, it's an extremely appealing device.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
manicm said:
With the Cyrus Lyric you don't have to 'plug in' a CD player - it has one built-in. Looks aside, it's an extremely appealing device.

Agreed ... shame it doesn't have HDMI inputs a la Linn Kiko/Sneaky ... and I could live with the looks. Also, there must be room for a hard drive in that inkjet printer case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts