CD Player or Sonos?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - new to the forums but not the magazine - all my kit was recommended at one time or another by the mag.

Currently System for music-

Arcam Alpha One CD (RIP)

Arcam Alpha 6 Amp

B&W 602

So my Arcam CD player has finally given up the ghost and its time to start looking for an upgrade. My children are growing up fast and all into music and I have installed some speakers into my bedroom ceiling for some future use. As you can tell I am already leaning towards a server based solution.

But sound quality is important especially in my lounge so I am a bit torn.

Cyrus CD6 or Sonos 80? I would match either up to a Roksan or Cyrus amp (recomendations?) but I wont be able to stetch to new speakers yet. If I go for the Sonos I might go for DAC as I have heard the analogue output is a bit lacking so any recommendations there would be good.if you think thats the way I should go

Would really appreciate any guidance

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I use a Roku M2000. I looked at the Sonos and liked what I saw (except the price). I would recommend a very good external dac (the sound quality will depend on how good it is). I use the cyrus DAC-X because of its multiple digital inputs. I would also recomend FLAC compression as this is lossless and supported by the Sonos system.

A

Anonymous

I don't think that CD players are going to be round in a few years to come.I think that most people will be storing their music on a computer based system using FLAC etc,and adding a high quality DAC,and that amplifiers will have USB ports as part of their features where you connect the amplifier to the computer.I just don't see the need for CD players in the next few years.

A

Anonymous

Interesting. My of my friends have now traded CDs for the Ipod. However I'm not a fan of computers at home. They keep crashing, are noisy and given the reliability of Microsoft you could lose all your expensive music very quickly. CDs give you a free hard copy (!)... I can understand how you can get high quality sound with Apple Lossless etc. but it's a shame when we could have had SACD the general public picked 128kbps mp3 instead :(

.....most people thought record players wouldn't last into this century....

jules.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My feeling is that CDs are all but dead (as are DVDs when the entertainment industry finally pulls its finger out). I have shelves of the darn things and although I agree about the appeal of a "hard copy" I would prefer the hard copy up in the loft. But..and this is the big but...I dont want to compromise my listening pleasure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts