CD player needed or not ??

stu31

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with my system these last few years using it say 90/10% of the time for home cinema duties but since ive got back into my books with my ereader that balance is more like 60/40 but im out of the loop on tech stuff now so to speak so i could do with some advice.

Ive always used the blu ray player for the odd sacd and cd but as i've now started to listen to music alot more im starting to wander if im missing out by not having a dedicated player for disc playback duties (my amp plays flac direct from its usb port)

At present i have my blu ray wired up with a Qed digital coaxial and a custom set of analogues for the music side of things so i can flick between the different cables and I prefer the analogues but with my current equipment am i likely to notice much difference with the inclusion of a cd player?

I'm willling to spend £150ish for a cd player if its going to be of benefit as i havent got the basics of a shuffle function or even a song display on the sony.

Cheers

The Sony S370 is a very capable CD /Blu Ray player (I use one myself in main system in living room).

You will not notice any improvement with a £150 CD player I feel, you'd need to spend a lot more. Suggest you just use money to buy more discs.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
stu31 said:
I'm willling to spend £150ish for a cd player if its going to be of benefit as i havent got the basics of a shuffle function or even a song display

Personally I think it's worth buying a dedictaed CDP just for those reasons. I don't like using Bluray players for music discs purely becuse a dedicated CDP is faster, easier and nicer to operate for music playback.

If you're playing CDs a lot it's worth it IMO. The sound won't improve, but the functionality will be better.

stu31

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Tbh I have seen a yamaha cd player in richer sounds for £159 which caught my eye but i'm only listening to my dire straits cds when i read and only 1 of those quite alot if on cd, but I also play those flac files as well as others via usb through the amp without having to change a disc!

If i was going to hear a sound improvement from that player over what i already have i would buy it but looks like i might be paying 159 just to have a display and a shuffle function which of course i can do via the usb oh and blu tooth from the phone...... think ive answered my own question now!!

MeanandGreen said:
stu31 said:
I'm willling to spend £150ish for a cd player if its going to be of benefit as i havent got the basics of a shuffle function or even a song display

Personally I think it's worth buying a dedictaed CDP just for those reasons. I don't like using Bluray players for music discs purely becuse a dedicated CDP is faster, easier and nicer to operate for music playback.

If you're playing CDs a lot it's worth it IMO. The sound won't improve, but the functionality will be better.

SteveR750

+1 for using your BDP to spin the odd disc. I use my Panasonic BDP as a CD transport, digital out into my amp when I feel the need to play a CD. I'm not sure £150 is going to get you anything better

My initial post was referencing sound quality only. If you simply must have shuffle function and a song display then you will have to get a CDP of some sort. I never worry particularly about these functions myself as I prefer to listen to the album as it was laid down.

SteveR750

Al ears said:
My initial post was referencing sound quality only. If you simply must have shuffle function and a song display then you will have to get a CDP of some sort. I never worry particularly about these functions myself as I prefer to listen to the album as it was laid down.

Interestingly, the only reason for listening to a disc (and not stream off the laptop) is because it's not shuffled and the songs are in the right order! Occasionally media centre doubles up songs, and in the case of (really annoyingly) The Wall, it's stuck the first track of disc 1 as the last track!

As an aside, once you start ripping your music into a library, you realise that there is some inconsistency in file naming format of tracks on the disc - for example, many compliation dics cause mayhem, and I've had to rename all of the files so that they all sit in the same folder ("album"). Spining the disc avoids this headache of course.....

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
The Sony S370 is a very capable CD /Blu Ray player (I use one myself in main system in living room).

You will not notice any improvement with a £150 CD player I feel, you'd need to spend a lot more. Suggest you just use money to buy more discs.

Do you not find it operationally/mechanically quite noisy? Mine sounds like a small electric fan when it spins a disc. Maybe that is just mine but if not and this is common to the S370 then a CDP would be an improvement for listening at low levels.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
relocated said:
Keep your money in your pocket/buy books or music. A cd player would be a complete waste of money.

It's all about personal preference i know but a decent dedicated CDP sounds a hell of a lot better than a decent BDP when spinning a CD (to my ears anyway)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts