CD player for Arcam A38 amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Big Chris said:
The CD192 isn't 10 years old, it came out about 6/7 years ago at the most.

Heartily recommended though. I said at the time the jump in quality from CD72T to CD192 was greater than the jump from A65+ to A85.

Just looked in a WHFI S&V mag from August 2004 and the 192 is listed in Sevenoaks price list @ £895.00, although it doesn't appear in the classified bit at the back, so it was some time after that they tested.

:clap: Gotcha

Big Chris said:
plastic penguin said:
Big Chris said:
The CD192 isn't 10 years old, it came out about 6/7 years ago at the most.

Heartily recommended though. I said at the time the jump in quality from CD72T to CD192 was greater than the jump from A65+ to A85.

Just looked in a WHFI S&V mag from August 2004 and the 192 is listed in Sevenoaks price list @ £895.00, although it doesn't appear in the classified bit at the back, so it was some time after that they tested.

:clap: Gotcha

Looking in a 2005 WHAT HI-FI first group tested the 192 in Nov 2004, but don't have that copy to hand.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Time flies. I'm sure when I bought my 72T in '02, the high end DiVA at the time was the 92.

If I'm right, the 93 must have only been on sale for a year or two at most before the 192 came out.

A

Anonymous

I can get a Roksan Kandy K2CD for around £470. Any thoughts on this as a match?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have been an Arcam owner for a few years now - i used to own a Diva A70 and CD73T then had FMJ A32 and CD36 (got at bargain price when the new models came out) and now own the A38 and CD37. I also have demod the 192 when i bought the CD36 with the A32. The A38 is nowhere near as laid back as the A32 so it doesnt demand in my opinion a brighter CD player. The 192 is a great CD player but the CD36 will better it with a bit more body to the sound, a wider stage and deeper bass - it is slightly smoother i thought thought than the 192 or the CD37.

If it was me now and i couldnt afford the CD37 (which i think i superb by the way) i would try and hold out for an ebay CD36 if it dropped within budget. They go for a 50% or less than their original price nowadays. If that is still too much then i doubt the 192 will dissappoint at all, its a great CD player and well regarded generally. The advantage of the CD36 is that it matches visually the A38 but if thats not a big deal to you then the 192 was considered a great CD player at its original price so for what it goes for now its a great purchase.

Whilst Arcam do drop in price from new much more than say Naim, if you do get a good condition 2nd hand one, then there is good back up service if you need it, plus if you bought it cheaper you can pretty much get your money back. I had a CD36 for 2 years and got the same money for it when i sold it on for the CD37.

Personally i would go for the 192 or 36 ahead of the Roksan or Rega Apollo but then i like same brand myself.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. To be honest, after seeing the CD192 sell on ebay today for £325 + £30 postage, I might just dig a little deaper for the CD37. It's only £699 now.

Have you ever had the CD92? I can get this for a better price but some are not sure it will match my A38 well.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Sorry i have never had the CD92 - if you are looking long term the CD37 is worth it in my opinion with an A38 - i dont think i will need another CD player upgrade now as i am very happy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts