CD player for Arcam A38 amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm sure this will probably be one of those post which some may find frustrating. But I'm hoping someone with far more experience than me might take pitty and kindly offer me some usefull advice. I have just bought myself an Arcam A38. But due to an unfortunate turn of luck, I find myself rather short on funds for a decent CD player. I have auditioned the obvious Arcam CD37 which was lovely but my budget will no longer allow. So I am now looking at 2nd hand players, such as the Arcam CD192 or CD92. Also seen a nice but older Musical Fidelity X Ray, good 10 years ago but good by modern standards?? There's so many options but obviously no chance of an audion.

My system at the moment is; Arcam A38, Epos M22i, Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and Epic speaker cables.

I'm a bit of an all rounder when it comes to musical taste.

Any thoughts very welcome.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Arcam CD92 and CD192 or an Alpha 9 if you can find one in decent nick

Rega Saturn or Apollo would work very well as well

jjbomber

Try a DV78 or DV 88. I know they are DVD players, but they were £800-£1000 new and now go for around £100. Best second hand value in the World (slight exageration, but only slight). They don't do Blu-Ray, which is why they are so cheap, but you only need it for CD use, so that doesn't matter. Bargain.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
My vote would be for a Rega Apollo. Alternatively, see if you can find a Marantz SA7001 KI-Signature. Great CD player and beautifully made.

Yes, that'd have been my pick. Lovely player, nice build.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm drawn to the CD192. Unlike the others, I have listened to this before but with an Arcam AVP700 & P1000. Sounded great, however it was a few years ago now.

Sadly I have never auditioned any of the others. I have tried my A38 with a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and used my Yamaha DVD S2700 as my disc spinner. Not a great combo, very detailed but lacks weight and gets very harsh at high volume. So I tried the DAC with it's matching M1 CDT. Again, not a great match, much better than before but still a bit lean. The CD37 was perfect and a great price at just £699.99 new! But still over budget for now.

A

Anonymous

I think that's my biggest reservation. The age of the player for my money, though I didn't realise it was quite that old. But you right, I am looking at around £300. The last couple I saw sell on Ebay went for about £260 so I'm hoping the one I'm watching won't go for too much. I do work for an electrical retailer so things like to Roksan Kandy K2, Most mid priced Marantz, Quad Elite all come a lot cheaper for me, not much higher than the £300 mark in some cases. Do you think maybe a more modern player in a cheaper price band may be an improvement over a previously more expensive but older player?

I can only express my personal views, and I'm a huge Arcam fan. If you can grab a 192 for around £200-£250 then go for it.

If you want a newer design with similar traits to the 192, look at Rega Apollo (£250-£300), Exposure 2010 (£150 -£300)...

I love the Arcam CD73 and it works a treat with my current set-up, given the smooth presentation of the A38, you'd need a ballsier CDP to bring the A38 alive IMO.

Because the Leema and MAs are sparkly/bright the tame CD73 is like the hi-fi equivalent to Kofi Annan. ;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that advice.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Is there that much difference between the sound charactoristics of an Arcam CD92 and a CD192. I have never listened to a CD92.

A

Anonymous

So the CD92 might be a good option then? Given that it appears to be a slightly better price on Ebay as well.

Sorry to go on about this one but what about the Rega Apollo? Several people have recommended it but I've had no experience of the brand at all. It was much cheaper in its day, can it really be compared to a much higher priced Arcam? I am on a budget but do want to make the best possible use of my A38.

Thanks

sharonadam said:
So the CD92 might be a good option then? Given that it appears to be a slightly better price on Ebay as well.

Sorry to go on about this one but what about the Rega Apollo? Several people have recommended it but I've had no experience of the brand at all. It was much cheaper in its day, can it really be compared to a much higher priced Arcam? I am on a budget but do want to make the best possible use of my A38.

Thanks

Right, from the CDPs I've heard on my current system, this is how I rate them:

1) Arcam CD192

2) Exposure 2010S

3) Rega Apollo

4) Arcam CD73T

Although the 192 is the best there isn't, IMO, a huge 'night and day' difference between all four.

Rega has slightly tighter bass and a little crisper than my 73, but for sheer gusto little beats the Exposure and 192. Unfortunately Exposures are few and far between.

A

Anonymous

Just to add one more option into the mix, what about Cyrus? Any opinions? Never had any myself but some great deals on Ebay on some highly praised players. Not that I tend to go by magazine reviews. But any personal opinions and experiences welcome.

sharonadam said:
Just to add one more option into the mix, what about Cyrus? Any opinions? Never had any myself but some great deals on Ebay on some highly praised players. Not that I tend to go by magazine reviews. But any personal opinions and experiences welcome.

It's an option but I don't understand why WHFI rate them so highly.

*Edit* sorry, should be more informative: Cyrus, amps and CDPs, have tremendous detail and clarity, excel with vocals and acoustic music. However, for my ears, they just lack a little emotion in the presentation. Cyrus may work a treat for your tastes.

All hi-fi is a compromise, so it depends really where your taste in music and overall presentation is placed.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The CD192 isn't 10 years old, it came out about 6/7 years ago at the most.

Heartily recommended though. I said at the time the jump in quality from CD72T to CD192 was greater than the jump from A65+ to A85.

A

Anonymous

It's interesting that you say that about how they are rated. Like I said, Ive had no experience with them. However, the electrical company I work for was a dealer of them before my time and i have heard that they were often faulty. But it seems like the press love them.

Big Chris said:
The CD192 isn't 10 years old, it came out about 6/7 years ago at the most.

Heartily recommended though. I said at the time the jump in quality from CD72T to CD192 was greater than the jump from A65+ to A85.

Just looked in a WHFI S&V mag from August 2004 and the 192 is listed in Sevenoaks price list @ £895.00, although it doesn't appear in the classified bit at the back, so it was some time after that they tested.

A

Anonymous

I tell you what really does make me sick. About 3 years ago, I found in one of our stores an Arcam AVP700/P1000 combo and we also still had a couple of CD192s kicking around. £399 per unit!! Absolutely gutted because I told a friends dad about it who has always been into far more expensive kit than I can afford. So he agreed to a home audition with his Kef Model 2s I think? Anyway, I tried it at mine first with my Monitor Audio RS6s and my Yamaha DVD-S2700 as the disc spinner. Only in stereo so can't comment on on the AV side of things. But I can honestly say that it was probably the best stereo sound I've ever had in my house, absolutely stunning. Most under rated system ever. Just goes to show, you can't believe what magazines write in reviews as I couldn't find one above average review about it. It's worth buying just to use for stereo. The pair are still advertised on Ebay for about £1400.

And I should also mention, that I once borrowed an AVR600 and as a stereo unit I did love it, incredible bass. But still the old combo wins it for me.

Sadly my friends dad loved it so it was not to be for me.

He also bought a CD192 and a DVD135. All for £1500!! Lucky sod!!

I doubt I'd be looking now if I'd got that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts