CD player for Arcam A29?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Hi folks,

Ive now sold my Cyrus setup and bought an A29 which arrives next week.

Need to pick up an inexpensive CD player to match. Can’t stretch to the matching CDS27 at the minute but want to get my extensive cd collection playable.

Thoughts on a player to match that’s £200 or less?

Cheers,

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I was going to say cyrus but if you junked all your gear maybe no longer like them. You get at cyrus 8 or 6 CD player before the latest cd t and cd xt Se, then cd xt signature, and cd I came in. I’ve seen one used on eBay for £200. Cyrus do have a good pedigree with CD players. Not just saying because I own.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks for suggestions. Been doing a bit of digging. Thinking the 192 seems a decent option, plus also Arcam so will aesthetically match (but not a must).

The Marantz seems plagued with faults/returns having read some reviews. The Cyrus suggestion is not pos - reason I sold the Cyrus setup was it was poorly matched to my MA RS6s.

Prob gonna keep my eyes out for a 192. Or, perhaps a Roksan Kandy, as on reading these seem to match well (please correct me if I’m wrong!).

Either which way, can’t wait for the A29 to arrive. Surely a step up and better matched to my speakers than the Cyrus 6 kit.

Cheers all.

amormusic said:
Thanks for suggestions. Been doing a bit of digging. Thinking the 192 seems a decent option, plus also Arcam so will aesthetically match (but not a must).

The Marantz seems plagued with faults/returns having read some reviews. The Cyrus suggestion is not pos - reason I sold the Cyrus setup was it was poorly matched to my MA RS6s.

Prob gonna keep my eyes out for a 192. Or, perhaps a Roksan Kandy, as on reading these seem to match well (please correct me if I’m wrong!).

Either which way, can’t wait for the A29 to arrive. Surely a step up and better matched to my speakers than the Cyrus 6 kit.

Cheers all.

Whichever way you go, if you buy second-hand make sure the laser mechanism can still be bought as these don't last forever.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

amormusic said:

Cheers all.

i heard roksan stuff with monitor audio at the indulgence show and it was one of the worst bright set ups in the show. I use the term bright reservedly because it can be used to describe any system with treble, but this system had way too much treble and hiss for most tastes I reckon and I’d definetly call it bright. I’d therfore advise to be very cautious, but it could have just been the amps just not working with a particular type of speaker.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Arcams and Roksan match well with MA in my opinion. Heard both A29 and A39 with monitor audio and they worked well together.

AIs shout for the Marantz as well is a good idea. If you have a richer sounds or audio T nearby you could demo them together as they stock all three brands.

jjbomber

amormusic said:
Hi folks,

Left of field, way outside the box suggestion. Arcam DVD players that are not 4K are starting to tumble in price. If you are not in a hurry, there are some bargains to be had 2nd hand as people upgrade to 4K.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
amormusic said:
Hi folks,

Left of field, way outside the box suggestion. Arcam DVD players that are not 4K are starting to tumble in price. If you are not in a hurry, there are some bargains to be had 2nd hand as people upgrade to 4K.

Not so left field.

I have an Arcam DV79, which is a very decent CDP.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/dvd-players/arcam-dv79-299558/review

"With Arcam's heritage the DV79 is always going to play a good tune but hooked up to decent hi-fi system it turns effortlessly into a top notch CD player. The sound has a signature clarity and warmth with rich bass and smooth treble."

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/arcam_diva_dv79.htm

"...the DV79’s analog outputs was like listening to a top-flight CD player. In fact, had I not known better, I might have guessed I was listening to one of Arcam’s mid- to higher-priced CD players -- the sound was that clear and immediate. "Calling Elvis" was rich and full-bodied without becoming thick or plodding. The bass line was well defined, each beat sounding distinctly different from the previous one. Mark Knopfler’s vocal on "On Every Street" was palpable, and the soundstage was deep and solidly defined. The guitar on "Heavy Fuel" growled with plenty of bite, yet lacked the harshness that’s sometimes evident on this dynamic track."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-DIVA-DV79-DVD-CD-player-in-black-good-condition-complete-/272878892393?epid=83083342&hash=item3f88d97569:g:eek:NsAAOSwWr5Z2ef2

jjbomber

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
CnoEvil said:
Not so left field.

I have an Arcam DV79, which is a very decent CDP.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/dvd-players/arcam-dv79-299558/review

"With Arcam's heritage the DV79 is always going to play a good tune but hooked up to decent hi-fi system it turns effortlessly into a top notch CD player. The sound has a signature clarity and warmth with rich bass and smooth treble."

Great minds think alike. as indeed do ours! *biggrin*

I would like to claim part ownership...but the idea was all yours and a very good one at that....I could just put some flesh on the bones.

D

Deleted member 160668

I’m suddenly loving the DVD suggestion!

especially as mine packed in about 25 mins before the end of a film I was watching last night! Aah!

not a bad shout and not something I’d thought of. Nice one

A29 arrives tomorrow! I am quite excited!

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks for all other suggestions.

I plumped for the DV79 and what a player!! It sounds bloody great as a cd transport. Not tried it yet as a DVD player but great match to the amp.

And soooo cheap!!!

Cheers!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
amormusic said:
Thanks for all other suggestions.

I plumped for the DV79 and what a player!! It sounds bloody great as a cd transport. Not tried it yet as a DVD player but great match to the amp.

And soooo cheap!!!

Cheers!

It's even better as a DVD player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts