CD player cutting out

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

My AVI Lab Series cd player is cutting out, the disc is still spinning but the music goes off and on. I have tried a lens cleaning cd but this doesn't make much difference. Could it be just a really dirty lens or something more seriously wrong with the laser? Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers - DD

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Silly boy! ;)[/quote]

Not so - all-too-easily done. In fact I wonder how many cables were jiggled out a bit during that recent earthquake.

Easter task for us all - disconnect and firmly reconnect all your cables!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Silly boy! ;)[/quote]

Not so - all-too-easily done. In fact I wonder how many cables were jiggled out a bit during that recent earthquake.

Easter task for us all - disconnect and firmly reconnect all your cables!

[/quote]

You do make me laugh Clare, it's the schoolteacher in you

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
I bought it second hand 6 months ago but AVI have told me it is five years old and has a pre copy protection mechanism. Apparently Philips had to discontinue it and produce a new mech that would play copy protected discs.
AVI no longer make CD players and don't have newer laser mechs.They still have some cdps in stock and will sell me one at half rrp.

Thing is, apart from being really annoyed with having to part with another 700 odd quid for a cdp of dubious reliabilty (not that I have that sort of money lying about!) I'm wondering if my money could buy a better player by a different manufacturer. Maybe the new Naim cd5i?

I have the AVI Lab Series Integrated amp and Duo speakers.(bought new btw)

A

Anonymous

Hello.

I Have The AVI Lab Series Cd Player.

Tell Me Please. What model of transport there costs, also what DAC?

Thank you.

Andrey

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Is this definitely beyond repair? A laser problem will most likely cause skipping and read errors. If the transport is at fault, you may be able to source one elsewhere. Very few CD players have bespoke transports, so it will most probably be a generic Philips, Sony etc and they are fairly straight forward to replace. When the music/sound cuts out, does the track timer stop too? If it doesn't, then the fault is going to be a problem in the signal path downstream of the transport and perhaps simply a dry joint.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts