CD Player Choosing HELP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I used to be on the Hi-Fi buzzer like no other and yet lately i dont know what the hell to look at since the dyanmic has changed in the Hi-Fi industry anyway..........

Set-Up

Preamp - Audiolab 800c

PowerAmp- Audiolab 8000p

CD Player - Technics SL-PS70

Speakers - TDL RTL2 (Although I am might plan a upgrade in the future with drivers)

Cables - Van Damme Silveplated with Nutrik Connectors

Speaker Cable - Van Damme Blue Series

The Technics although stunning in some areas leaves me wanting more as I find the sound a little a bit relaxed or a bit unprectiable . I know the Audiolab is worthy of more after using it with a Sony CDP-930 UK Edition CD player I know it can sound exciting. Oddly it will play discs I recorded with a Teac CD Burner and nothing else

So here is my question can any one help recommend a CD Player New or Second Hand that Sounds upfront, punchy, deep detailed and open. I suppose I want a player thats bags of fun to listen to and also being allowed to play CD-R's.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
I used to be on the Hi-Fi buzzer like no other and yet lately i dont know what the hell to look at since the dyanmic has changed in the Hi-Fi industry anyway..........

Set-Up

Preamp - Audiolab 800c

PowerAmp- Audiolab 8000p

CD Player - Technics SL-PS70

Speakers - TDL RTL2 (Although I am might plan a upgrade in the future with drivers)

Cables - Van Damme Silveplated with Nutrik Connectors

Speaker Cable - Van Damme Blue Series

The Technics although stunning in some areas leaves me wanting more as I find the sound a little a bit relaxed or a bit unprectiable . I know the Audiolab is worthy of more after using it with a Sony CDP-930 UK Edition CD player I know it can sound exciting. Oddly it will play discs I recorded with a Teac CD Burner and nothing else

So here is my question can any one help recommend a CD Player New or Second Hand that Sounds upfront, punchy, deep detailed and open. I suppose I want a player thats bags of fun to listen to and also being allowed to play CD-R's.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

May I ask your budget? What sort of music do you listen to?

Not heard Audiolab's own CDP, but people seem to like them. The Rega Saturn is a great player and amazing value.

Cheers

Mac

T

the record spot

You can pick up the excellent Harman Kardon HD990 for under £300 if you shop around. Heard that a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it - great across the high/mid/low frequencies and offers a DAC option for another digital source to plug into. Was £500 and was part of a system of the year back in 2009 or so (with its parterning HK990 amp).

Failing that, used options abound; my own faves are Kenwood's DP7090 which was simply brilliant - fabulous build and check out the 5090 which is also very decent by all accounts. Good for modding apparently - I think there's one on Ebay just now for about £35. What do you have to lose?!

See also some of Sony's late 90s models - the CDP790/791 though I think the 930 you have just now is probably going to be absolutely fine. I'm unsure how far you'd need to go to improve on that one, but try a few out. Don't write off universal players either - if you happen upon a Denon DVD-3930 for under £300, just buy it. It's brilliant value for money used now ahving been £1000 on release. I got mine a few weeks ago and have been knocked out by just how good it is. And this from someone who didn't think there was a massive difference between most digital sources.

(Hey, look, I can't be right all the time...!)
small-logo.png

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
marantz cd6004

i have an expensive Cyrus. I used to have a marantz 63KI, and a Cyrus cd6s

for the money I can't imagine the marantz can be bettered, my friend has one and it is brilliant. I beleive you have to spend a lot more money to better it

can you get to hear an audio lab one. you obviously like there kit

A

Anonymous

Budget is I suppose max £300 but obviously would like to keep under that and dont mind second hand as they offer the best bargains sometimes. New I was looking at a Marantz CD6004 or a Cambridge Audio 840c (249 in richer sounds)

A

Anonymous

I would recommend you would listen to a AH! Tjoep cd player. It is a modified Marantz with tubes. Some are also upgraded with a superclock. Not easy to beat this performer!

A

Anonymous

Ocean37 said:
I would recommend you would listen to a AH! Tjoep cd player. It is a modified Marantz with tubes. Some are also upgraded with a superclock. Not easy to beat this performer!

Ok next question where can I buy The Ah! Tjoeb and how much do they cost? I am intrigued

T

the record spot

Good luck finding one. It came out about 10 years ago was based on the then Marantz CD6000 - much like the Heart version which was a similar idea, I think this was a short run, so the secondhand market is probably your best best.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Another gem is the Rotel RCD-991 which is a great player, I used to have one but was stupid enough to sell it. There's one on ebay at the moment for a decent price. :)

EDIT: If Bretty sees this thread then he will wax lyrical about the Rotel.....he loves his.

Of course the Rotel I use now I bought for £75 in mint condition, absolute bargain. :cheers:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have never heard a CD player which beats my Marantz CD-63 mkII KI, and I would heartily recommend one. I've heard players which sound just as good but different (such as Rotels, which tend to be more laid back). I'm sure much better ones exist of course if you hunt down something new with a four-figure price-tag, but when you can get a CD-63 mkII KI off ebay for about £200 max (and often much less), spending more is difficult to justify.

A

Anonymous

I am inclined to agree. I used to have a Marantz CD67 but found it lacking bass and that was the only reason I sold it.

T

the record spot

Oh and can't recommend my current disc spinner highly enough. The Denon DVD3930 does a sterling audio job. Picture's not bad either, but for music it's a winner.

A

Anonymous

That does not suprise me because I managed to get a marantz DVD player (sadly in DVD heaven) and made my cd player at the time sound pretty crap. Thanks dude will look into that.

Question would you think buying a solid CDP like a Philips 751 then using a outboard DAC be a better option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts