CD player chassis earth ground loop

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
RA ground the chassis of the CD63 in his £600 upgrade so I thought I’d try the same. I think I noticed a small increase in SQ and it seems like a good way to shield the player from interference but it also created a ground loop hum. I thought surely RA couldn’t possibly be selling a £600 upgrade that creates a ground loop....

Is there any way to earth the chassis of the CD player without creating a ground loop with the amp?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
britain4 said:
RA ground the chassis of the CD63 in his £600 upgrade so I thought I’d try the same. I think I noticed a small increase in SQ and it seems like a good way to shield the player from interference but it also created a ground loop hum. I thought surely RA couldn’t possibly be selling a £600 upgrade that creates a ground loop....

Is there any way to earth the chassis of the CD player without creating a ground loop with the amp?
RA? Russ Abbott or Russ Andrews? They're both jokers you know....

Unlike a turntable, there's no real need to ground the case of a CD player. And if you do I would use a bit of old doorbell wire and ground it to the same ground point on the amp as your turntable.

britain4 said:
RA ground the chassis of the CD63 in his £600 upgrade so I thought I’d try the same. I think I noticed a small increase in SQ and it seems like a good way to shield the player from interference but it also created a ground loop hum. I thought surely RA couldn’t possibly be selling a £600 upgrade that creates a ground loop....

Is there any way to earth the chassis of the CD player without creating a ground loop with the amp?

As you have found out that with a turntable attached to your system the fewer grounds you have the better. I had to chop one of my earth wires at the plug to clear my hum.

Do yourself a favour and forget trying to earth something that doesn't need a chassis earth in the first place.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Haha, points taken, something told me it might help to reject interference somehow. I’ll take the ground wire off, just thought I may as well try it if I was fitting an IEC socket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts