set for such music. Price range – 2500-3000 pounds. My room is quit big – about
40 sq metres.

I’ve already
tested few combinations:

Rotel RCD-1072 + Rotel RA-1062 + Focal Chorus 826V

Marantz SA8003 + Marantz PM8003 + Jamo C 607

Naim Na CD5i + Naim Nait XS + Monitor Audio RS8 and RS6

I’ve even
tried more expensive ones, but the thing is that all these systems seem to struggle
with clear bass when playing fast tempo heavy(metal) music. In slow and mid tempo the low range is good in all systems mentioned above, bet with the
increase of pace (for instance, double bass drums) the bass becomes messy. Maybe just Naim combination sounded better.

Where the
problem might be? Maybe I should try a Cyrus 6 (or even 8) player/amp? Any
suggestions, guys?

Thanks in
advance!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
You could try the Exposure 3010 cd and amp with a pair of Dali Ikon 6 or 8's. They will give you that upfront sound you are after with a good bit of detail and you can totally rinse them. The Exposure has an amazing ability to keep contol of the tempo.

Nick

One of the best for rock IMO is Exposure. I believe, according to WHFI S&V, this company, later in the year, is bringing out a new range - although I don't know anymore than that.

Cyrus is very good but I wouldn't class them as rock orientated. Take a look at Roksan Caspian partnered with either ATC SCM 11 or Neat Motive 2. Alternatively look at Dali Ikon 6.

A

Anonymous

I used to think that rock music didn't sound good on hi-fi because of
poor recordings. I now think that is not true, in fact, the extra
complexity over jazz or classical trips up many systems. It is fairly easy to
nicely reproduce a smooth vocal over a gentle piano, but intricate guitar work
over a big bassline with bombastic drums is so much harder.

I like quite complex music. After auditioning several speaker makes I have ordered some ATC SCM40s (haven't got them yet). With your huge room you might want to consider some of the higher-up active ATCs, you wouldn't then need to worry about the amp.

Modern Arcam amps do not deserve the boring tag so often assigned by those who have not heard them. The bass timing of Arcam amps and CD (and DVD) players is impeccable, so many others have bass that lags behind the treble, which can sound more exciting at first. Better to have accuracy though - when the bass lines up properly with the treble you will be able to distinguish easily between kick drums and bass guitar and individual hits and notes will not smear into each other.

The ATC SCM40s are sealed box, which helps bass timing. Ported speakers smear the bass in order to sound bigger than they are (most speakers are ported!!). You might want to consider the transmission-line PMCs too, I found them a bit too warm but only heard the GB1i and FB1i.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for your answers. One thing is clear - it's hard to reproduce fast and complex guitar/bass/drum music. Maybe I need to invest more money in to my system? I don't believe that all recordings of rock/metal is poor. It's impossible :)

I'll definitely test Roksans and ATCs.

The funny thing is that one of the dealers that I've visited recently told me that Roksans are not created for rock/metal. But I think I'm gonna decide myself after listening to them.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I think you might be better looking to biamp some speakers. I listen to rock and metal (Amongst others), and bi-amping was what made the biggest difference to me by a long stretch. I hear things on EVERY cd now that ive never heard before (Although part of that is certainly on the strength of my pre-amp)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts