CD Connection to an AV amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could anyone tell me the best connection made between an av amp and my cd player should I use a digital optical lead, a digital co-axial lead or an interconnect into the left-right channels, and why?

A

Anonymous

I would say to an extent it depends on the CD player. If the DAC in the CD player is better than the one in your receiver then I'd use an analogue connection. But then I think it's the height of sophistication to run the analogue audio out from my DVD player to my amp so that I can play the sound through decent speakers rather than those on the TV.
emotion-2.gif
Over a short distance I can't see which digital lead would make any difference but I expect most folks would say use the coax.

A

Anonymous

It depends which has the best DAC. If you use RCA the CD player will do the conversion. If you use toslink or coax the receiver will do the conversion. It is far more likely the CD player will have the better DAC.

A

Anonymous

The Cd player is an arcam cd72 and the amp is a yamaha ax861se

A

Anonymous

I would definately use a good quality RCA.

I have a Pioneer CD Player and a Yamaha AX-759SE and the RCA provides a nice, warm clean sound with clear treble etc ......

When I try a good quality Optical (only option on this setup) it instead gives a clinical, emotion less performance. My opinion is that the DAC's in an AV amp are designed for the range needed for vocal/effect/surround purposes and no matter how much you spend on an AV amp that will always be the case.

Obviously the more you spend on the AV amp, the more you will spend on a CD player and so in theory you're CD will always have a better DAC than the amp. The only way you'll better it is to go for a high quality external DAC but hey, if you were doing that you'd have a dedicated HIFI set up along side your AV one wouldn't you?

A

Anonymous

...that's what managers like to say when staff are overworked...

Grrrr...

So when are us mere mortals going to be allowed an avatar?!

I'd say decent RCA interconnects too. Made a noticeable difference when I upgraded mine.

TRENDING THREADS