admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently moved house, so am starting to think about being able to play music again. I was tempted by the Arcam Solo, but it is a bit of a chunk financially in one go, so given I already have a decent amp, where to go?

The amp is a Cyrus 2, so I would have to spend quite a bit to better it, so I would like to hang on and make use of it for a while, so I am primarily looking at CD players, but I don't know what are the ones to really consider.

I am not averse to used or ex dem kit, so can flex the range available that way.

Realistically I am looking at £3-500, but have been wondering if it would really be worth the stretch to a Cyrus CD6s or a Kandy, especially as Kandys seem to be around the £500 mark ex dem. I am also wondering about slightly older stuff, like an Arcam Alpha 9.

I will also eventually be looking at adding a DAB tuner before too long, so the Cyrus option means I could go for an aesthetic match better there than with the Kandy, as the current Roksan Tuner is only FM.

Musically my tastes are wide and varied, but concentrate in the forties and fifties with western swing and country type stuff, through hendrix/cream springstein, some jazz and classical stuff up o the odd bit of modern stuff.

I don't have speakers either yet, as I am trying to find out if my wife prefers floorstanders or stand mount...

As you can see I am at early stages, with wide open options that are maybe a little too wide!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Paul.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,

The Cyrus 2 is a great amp, so no problem hanging on to that for now. We'd strongly suggest stretching your budget to the Cyrus 6vs2 CD player if you could - definitely the best sonic match, and upgradeable in the future, too. Add in a Cyrus interconnect to make the most of the two components - we've found it's another ideal fit.

Re speakers - we've found the Epos M12.2 standmounts (£450, plus budget @£100 for some decent stands) to be a superb sonic match for the Cyrus player.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion - at a quick glance though I can't see a CD player of that model - I presume you mean the CD6s, and re referencing the latest RoHS tweaked version?

Thanks for the tip on EPOS - I'll try to look them out and see if they pass cosmetic approval!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

Yes, I meant the tweaked version of the CD6s - the Vs is the amp. Apologies - model numbers on the brain!

Good luck with the set-up - if the Epos' don't suit, please post a new thread and we'll come back with some alternative suggestions.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Cyrus DAB tuner is OK, but you seem to be paying quite a lot for the styling and recording capability IMHO. I'd be thinking more Pure/Cambridge Audio for a no-frills DAB tuner.

And used/ex-demo CD players? Well, a MarantzCD-63MkII KI-Signature still takes some beating, and they're around now at silly prices, along with the likes of the original Audiolab 8000CD - but beware dodgy transport mechanisms! - and some of the earlier entry-level Naim CD players. There are some used examples of these and older Meridian machines turning up at tempting prices these days...

A

Anonymous

I had noticed the 63 KIs - they seem to be going for 150-160 on that eBay. Thanks for the DAB suggestions too - something like the Cambridge 640T looks around a third the price of the Cyrus!

A

Anonymous

Just a note to say Thanks - I have had a productive time on eBay and at a local dealer!

I now have a marantz CD63 MKII KI Sig (£120) a Cambridge 640T (£180) my old Cyrus two (£150 a couple of years ago) and a pair of Mk1 Castle severns - my wife prefers the look of floorstanders, especially in mahogany or walnut) and I now have a pretty decent sounding system for not much money in the living room. We have barely had the telly on all weekend!

There is still my old Xerxes/Moth/AT-F5 in the loft that I need to get in there somehow.

Now, what to upgrade first...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts