Castle Inversion replacements - help?

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi all
I've got a lovely pair of Castle Inversion 15's but regrettably in the last few years the awesome base response I get with movies has now developed a bit of a crackle with explosions.
I run all settings as normal and no base boost but if I ease off the base it looses all impact.
I'm not high on budget any more so I was wondering how Monitor Audio MR6 would compare?
My system comprises of
Yamaha RX A810 AV amp
Sony BDPS7200 blu ray
Marantz PM7003 amp for l/r and runs in power amp mode from av with bi-wire
Marantz CD5004 cd player
Logic DM101 deck with SME3009 arm
Monitor Audio bronze centre
Mission 731i rears
Good quality cabling
Panasonic viera 50" 4k TV
Many thanks
Mark

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't answer your question directly, but if want speakers that are closer to your Castles in sound character, maybe demo Wharfedale and Q Acoustics (it's been a while since I've heard some Castles, so I hope I'm on the right track).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Mark, have you tried inverting the base cones on your Castles (by unbolting them, turning them by 180 degress and then rebolting them)? Or possibly refoaming the bass cone surrounds?

From your description it sounds like you've got voice coil rub.

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Mark, have you tried inverting the base cones on your Castles (by unbolting them, turning them by 180 degress and then rebolting them)? Or possibly refoaming the bass cone surrounds?

From your description it sounds like you've got voice coil rub.
Ooh I like that!
Makes sense and I've just changed it around to try later.
I've looked into the MA speakers and they are not that good so I'm going to save and put up with it for the time being as it is rare and only on big drawn out base explosions.
It also happens at a very particular point of 'Everybody Hurts' by REM so I'll test later.
Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes later in the week

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
if you do change your front speakers for another make then you would have to add the matching centre spk as well to ensure cohesion of sound across the front soundstage.

*music2*

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
macdiddy said:
if you do change your front speakers for another make then you would have to add the matching centre spk as well to ensure cohesion of sound across the front soundstage.

*music2*

Never matched speakers yet.
I'm from the olden times when you used to have a good set of l and r then build the rest and use my ears to get it bang on.
Used to have some really high end stuff but hard times meant selling it all years ago so now I'm slowly working my way back.
I must admit the automatic setup gets somewhere close but tuning everything manually after that gets an awesome sound and always has.
Still ticks my mate off that my movie setup sounds better than his and he spent 6k.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
markkeogh said:
Used to have some really high end stuff but hard times meant selling it all years ago so now I'm slowly working my way back.
What did you have in the past, if you don't mind me asking?

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I think if memory serves as I had a problem start last year with my memory completely loosing it, makes setting up over more than one day interesting because I forget what I've done!
Anyway if memory serves
Denon AVR 4802
Arcam 10A and a pair of 10P's so I could separate my music from the AV
Matching CD10 player
Can't remember the cables but I do remember they were £75 per metre and my interconnects were all around £90 for half a metre so my wife remembers.
DVD player I can't remember but the wife said I told her it was around £800 but it was a bargain apparently!
Castle Harlechs left and right but I can't remember the center and rears I'm afraid.
On top of that though was my trusty Logic deck with an SME3009 arm and Origin live motor conversion and controller.
I love this because my uncle designed and sold it and it was my dad's before he died in '97.
It may not be as high end as some of you guys on here and I do remember when I designed my own stands (featured in hifi plus no less) I supplied a granite and carbon fibre unit for a guy at the Bristol show in 2002 I think who's amp was £20k on it's own. Can't remember who he was but he was South African I think or his product was.
Sorry but that's all I've got
Some things are clear and some aren't (much like my days now).
Regards
Mark

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thank you for sharing.
No worries
Just an update
Tried REM tonight with the reverse speaker and it works!
Still a little rattle but I suppose it's got to settle the other way up.
Had to play it beyond the normal level to get it to oscillate though so fingers crossed for a repeat of John Wick with my mate at the weekend!!!

TRENDING THREADS