Castle Floorstanding Speakers - help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a pair of Castle Haworths some years back from an excellent local supplier now retired and have just had to move them for the first time to redecorate. Each has 1 red and 1black imput/ socket and the cable has 1 red and 1 black plug/ end. One speaker had red in red and black in black but the other had red in black and black in red. I assume the colours should match but does it make a difference? They have always sounded pretty good but it was/ is my first decent(ish) system

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Allatsea,

It depends how they are plugged in at the amp end - red at the amp should follow to red at the speaker terminals.

A good way to tell if they are correctly wired is to listen - firstly with both speakers connected. Then with only 1. Does the level of bass increase on just 1? If so one speaker is connected incorrectly. Change one speaker's connections, then try the test again...

This phenomenon happens due to the bass from one speaker cancelling out the bass from the other - as one cone is pushing when the other is pulling - you want them both pushing at the same time!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Assuming the cables are correctly connected at the amp end, when you correct the reversed connections on one speaker you may well find you suddenly have stereo imaging!

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I just did what Mr E said, and the sound is entirely different now. Vocals not at centre now, but it seems all around the speakers, and sitting and listening from centre, the sound creates some funny feeling in both ears. Is that good imaging or what is happening ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts