Castle Durham help :-), modern alternatives ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've had a pair of Castle Durham speakers for the past 15 years and have been very happy with them till one developed a fault. As I'm struggling to have them repaired I wondered if anyone could recommend a more modern equivalent. I'm considering Monitor Audio BR2, Wharfedale Diamong 9.1, Tannoy F1 etc.... but don't know if they will suit or not as I've not tracked recent products.

The rest of my system is Rotel RA930AX Amp and Rotel RCD965BX CD Player, dated but safe choices.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Why don't you try a Durham 3?

castle.uk.com/classic_durham.htm

Or the Richmond 3i, if your budget is tight.

From all the speakers you mention, probably the F1 is more similar to Castle.

T

the record spot

Only one thing to note that the Castle of today is a different beast from the Castle of yesteryear; they're now owned by IAG and no longer independent. I hear it's not a change for the better...

A

Anonymous

Thanks, sounds so obvious now it is pointed out, Durham 3.

I've heard castle are no longer producing speakers but may have some in the pipe line, therefore I guess to get durham 3 they would be 2nd hand ?

A

Anonymous

Are there any speakers out there that give the same warmth that the Castles do, assuming that the new castles are not ?

As you can tell I've been out of HiFi for a long time.....

A

Anonymous

oggybiker:

Are there any speakers out there that give the same warmth that the Castles do, assuming that the new castles are not ?

I've heard the new Richmond 3i and Durham 3. I think they are quite warm, and still have a traditional British sound. The problem is I don't know how the old Castle's sounded, so I could not say if the new ones are worthy compared to the old.

Castle is owned by the same group who owns Wharfedale, Mission and Quad.

BTW, I compared both Castle's at home, and I think the Wharfedale Evo2-10 are superior. Timbre/voicing is very similar on the two brands; but the Wharfedale's have more weight and dynamics, and a larger soundstage.

I would try the Evo2-10 if I were you, and the Tannoy F1 (or, if you can afford them, the Eyris DC1). All these speakers are warm.

A

Anonymous

Cheers again, looks like I have more options. An indicator of the music I like, Seal at full volume, clear as a bell, detailed, deep, sharp but not piercing, if all of that makes sense.

T

the record spot

Sorry to keep going on about these, but it might be worth at least considering the Q Acoustics 1050i speaker.

Normally £350 at full price, but www.hificablesandaccesories.co.uk who are based in Troon in Ayrshire have them for just £253 including free delivery. Others have them for around the £299 mark.

The same company also have the 1030i floorstanders for £175. I'd be tempted to go with the former however, if you like scale and dynamism.

http://www.hificablesandaccessories.co.uk/acatalog/THE_Q_ACOUSTICS_RANGE_OF_FLOORSTAND_SPEAKERS.html

A

Anonymous

Thanks again. Floor standing speakers are not an option, wife.... room needs to look so.....I'm sure you know what I mean.

I think I'll take a trip to the local shop and listen to some options and buy the most suitable, if she lets me :)

T

the record spot

Ah, sorry, my error - should've read properly beforehand!

How about Quad 11L2s? Down to about £250 in many places - good authoritative soundstage, nice and deep. Superb finish that I think your wife would approve of (gloss piano lacquer in a variety of finishes). If you can find an original pair (Quad 11 or 12Ls) they apparently sound even better. Worth a look IMO.

matthewpiano

Pick up a copy of that other hi-fi mag that has the word 'World' in its title. Excellent supertest of speakers in this price range in the January 2009 issue including the Wharfedales, Quads, MAs, and B&Ws. Could have been written for you.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd say for a similar sound and style then take a lok at the Dali Lektor 1's or the M/A RS1's.

The M/A BR2's are good speakers but theyre hell of a lot more punchier then the Castles and the above ive mentioned. BUT, if you want more bass and a bigger, more richer soundstage then the BR2's are they way forward :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I now have a list to review, each with their own quality and a magazine to summerise this...

Much appreciated !!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts