Cash allocation to sources (BDP/DVD/CD)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm about to update my whole home theater after a month when I'm moving to my recently bought really own house. But I'm still a little confused how to use my money. Right now I think, my TV choice will be Sony 40W4500 and receiver something like Pioneer 71/81 (however, these are quite expensive here in Finland), yamaha 1900/3900. OK. But do you have any good rules of thumb, how to allocate cash for BDP, CD-player and/or DVD-player?

For example, would the best result be if I got 3 separate players, costing each appr. 33% of my cash? Or should I buy CDplayer and one more expensive BD-player which takes care of my DVD's too (especially from upscaling point of view)? Or only one taking care of all discs?

I do understand there is no one correct answer, but some good pieces of advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks already now in advance.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
If your going to get the sony set watch out for clouding/backlight bleed issues, you can find loads of threads about this particular problem on here. If you watch a lot of films then i'd suggest you get a Dvd player and a Blu-Ray player, only my suggestion though.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
It depends to a certain extent what you are coming from. I would say if you are coming from a standard definition TV with DVD, then the upscaling capabilites of a decent Blu-ray player will be more than adequate, I have been really impressed by the Sony BDP S350's upscaling capabilites (not saying get that one, just using it as an example).ÿ

ÿ

If I were spending the kind of amounts you are, then I would be considering the Denon 2500BT. This is supposed to have fantastic DVD upscaling, and good CD replay. If you are playing the CDs through the AV amp then you are not going to get audiophile music quality even with a dedicated CD player, so seems a waste to loose out on the Blu-ray/DVD side of things as well (by having a lower budget for these components) if that makes sense! ÿIf the Denon is too much then one of the Pioneers would be next best.

ÿ

Just my 2 cents.ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
For me, the answer really has to come down to which is the most important format to you? If movies are crucial, what's your state of play with existing discs - do you have quite a few (or even loads) of DVDs, but are mostly concentrating on Blu-Rays from now on? Or do you have hundreds of DVDs and think Blu-Rays are currently overpriced so you won't be investing in them, at least for the foreseeable future? When it comes to CDs, how important is it that music sounds perfect in your setup? What are you used to, i.e. do you have a (relatively) expensive but old CD player, or have you just always used a budget player?

Once you've answered these questions, really the choice is pretty obvious e.g. if you love music, make sure you get a dedicated CD player, but if it's not too important and movies are you're main thing, the Blu-Ray / DVD player will probably suffice etc. etc.

Personally, I can't see the need for more than 2 dedicated players in this scenario - I have a Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray player which is excellent for DVDs and Blu-Rays and also a really old Marantz CD-63 KI Sig CD player - I saw no need to replace this with a new player given its pedigree. However, someone else may well decide they want a Pioneer Blu-Ray player and Toshiba DVD upscaler and they are happy to play CDs through the Pioneer - that's their compromise.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for thoughts prof.

I think I am one of those mainstream enthusiast, who thinks blue-rays are yet a bit expensive and collection is 99% consisting of DVD's. But the main reason for this is being without BD equipment. In other words, of course I'd like to move on to BD's.

Having thoughts after your comments, I suppose I'll have 2 players. One good CD and one BD-player. Music is important for me, I considered also separate 2-channel kit, but so far I have to come along with only one. Use of equipment is maybe 50-50 divided into music-movies.

And yes, this would be easy if I had still my old kit. But I sold all of them already to a friend of mine (cos he was very intrested and I got enough cash =) ) and will purchase everything from the start.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mikey07:
Hi all,

I'm about to update my whole home theater after a month when I'm moving to my recently bought really own house. But I'm still a little confused how to use my money. Right now I think, my TV choice will be Sony 40W4500 and receiver something like Pioneer 71/81 (however, these are quite expensive here in Finland), yamaha 1900/3900. OK. But do you have any good rules of thumb, how to allocate cash for BDP, CD-player and/or DVD-player?

For example, would the best result be if I got 3 separate players, costing each appr. 33% of my cash? Or should I buy CDplayer and one more expensive BD-player which takes care of my DVD's too (especially from upscaling point of view)? Or only one taking care of all discs?

I do understand there is no one correct answer, but some good pieces of advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks already now in advance.

If you are prepared to have three boxes and are interested in music, I would ditch the dvd player idea (only the very best dvd players like the Arcam FMJ DV139, Naim DVD5 and others around the £2k mark could possibly show up a bluray player like the Denon transport) and add a stereo amp. So, cd player, BD player and stereo amp, to cover all bases. Alternatively, you could get a mid range BD player like the latest Pioneer and add a DAC so that you use the BD player as transport, no cd player needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts