Cartridge upgrade to Debut III. Worth it?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm inheriting one and need to buy a phono stage, thinking of a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 potentially...but not sure if this is overkill for the Pro-Ject. Is the deck good enough to warrant a future cartridge upgrade> If so, what?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello Joel, go for the Cambridge 640p it really is that good and I've yet to see a bad word said about it. As for the cartridge, moving up the om range is always a good step but on that deck i wouldn't go above an om10 but see how it sounds with the supplied cartridge, i believe its an om 3 so easily changeable at a later date. I use the 640 with a Denon DL-110 it's a lovely combination no my Rega P2 and may sound great on the Genie in fact i dont see why it wouldn't. Do let us i know what you decide upon.

A

Anonymous

There's also the Rega Fono Mini, which to my untrained ears has a wider soundstage and than the NAD PP2 and the basic Pro-ject phono amp. I've not heard the 640p. I'm inclined to think the Slee would be a touch of overkill for the Debut, but, if you decide to stick with vinyl, is more future proof.

As to cartridges; the new Ortofon 2M red gets good write-ups on this forum and looks well priced. If you can find an OM10 at a good price, it's a nice, neutral cartridge. The Audio Technica range, starting from the AT110 up, are also good buys if you like a livelier sound.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded my cartridge to the 2M Red (on a Mk 1 Debut) and was more than pleased with the extra "performance per pound".

I went for the 640p for pre-amp duties, and more than happy with it, although didn't compare it to anything else at the time. However I got it for £70 (only 3 months ago) and it is now £100 - not sure how it now compares to the others in it's class at the new price.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregory: I use the 640 with a Denon DL-110 it's a lovely combination no my Rega P2 and may sound great on the Genie in fact i dont see why it wouldn't. Do let us i know what you decide upon.

The reason the DL110 or DL160 (or any other MC cartridge) won't sound 'great' on a Pro-ject Debut III is because of the magnetic pressed steel platter. (The OP has a Debut III not a Genie according to his other recent threads and the title of this one.)

The magnets in the DL110 will be much stronger than in a MM design and the cartridge will try to flatten itself against the record!

I try to avoid posting from non WHF? forums but this should be a cautionary tale....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98361&highlight=dp-300f http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98361&highlight=dp-300f

Also WHF forum member 'Henley' (from Henley Designs who market Pro-Ject in the UK) has issued the same warning more than once here. For example....

Henley:Sorry guys but just to clarify a couple of points.
You can't put a moving coil cartridge on a Debut (any variation exc.
Esprit) due to the platter being magnetic. To do this you would need to
change to either an Acrylic or cast platter...

From this thread...

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/165521.aspx

A

Anonymous

Shame you haven't got space for the 640p. In the last couple of weeks I got a 640p and Debut III and together they sound great. I'm using the supplied cartridge at the mo so would be interested to hear if you do upgrade it and to what effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts