Cartridge question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I have been building my Hi-Fi set up over the last six months mainly through EBay.

I have a Project RPM 5 turntable and a week or two ago the stylus on the cartridge broke (Ortofon510 mkii).

I suppose in a wider sense my question is, given my turntable and tone arm what kind of level of cartridge is it sensible to fit? This is why I haven’t given a budget. I am wondering what my next step is, I can see three clear options;

Replace the Stylus on the 510 (£45), buy a 2m Red (£70), or buy a 2m Blue (£135).

I welcome any advice on these and any other options I’ve missed.

Thanks

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Another Ortofon MM would be fine but also look at the Goldring MM range, such as the 2100 for £90.00 if you shop around. This can also be upgraded in the future with a better stylus from the same range.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, what would be your personal preference? I undersand this is a subjective thing not absolute.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
I've just recently bought a Goldring 2200 (£109) and am very happy with it - I reckon you'd like it and (as has been said) you can upgrade the stylus at a later date.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for the advice just to let you know I got the Goldring 2200 this morning in Manchester Audio T, who also fitted it for me.

It is a noticeable improvement on the 510 mkII, and I am very happy with it.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS