Cartridge for vintage turntable

Robdespy

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi there - I have an AR the legend turntable and I'm starting to think about upgrading the cartridge/stylus from the AT 110e that it came with. It has a linn basik arm and runs in to a rotel 1570 with B&W cm8 speakers ( I assume but don't know if this is helpful info).

I've hunted around the Internet a little but there doesn't seem to be too much info and there are a lot of options! I'm just not sure at what point the price of a cartridge upgrade becomes over the top for the turntable/arm I have.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't necessarily have a budget in mind beyond vaguely thinking £150 max but could be persuaded to spend more if it's worth it.

Thanks all

Robdespy said:
Hi there - I have an AR the legend turntable and I'm starting to think about upgrading the cartridge/stylus from the AT 110e that it came with. It has a linn basik arm and runs in to a rotel 1570 with B&W cm8 speakers ( I assume but don't know if this is helpful info).

I've hunted around the Internet a little but there doesn't seem to be too much info and there are a lot of options! I'm just not sure at what point the price of a cartridge upgrade becomes over the top for the turntable/arm I have.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't necessarily have a budget in mind beyond vaguely thinking £150 max but could be persuaded to spend more if it's worth it.

Thanks all

At around £130 the Audio Technica AT440MLB will suit your arm and be a significant upgrade. If that's too expensive look for a Shure M97eX or the cheaper AT 120EB

peter B

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi Rob

Not an easy anawer, cartridges are like speakers , they all sound different. I have several decks and even more cartridges. From my experiance I would recommend a Goldring G2200 . It dosen't track as well as some of my collection but, its alround musicality more than make up for it. You should be able to buy it under your £150 budget.

Hope this helps

Robdespy

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
This cartridge was a really great recommendation so thanks again. It was a bit harsh on the treble at first but settled down about 5 records in and is still getting better as it beds down. Remarkable amount of separation in particular. Couldn't be happier with it!

friendly_ghost said:
Al have you ever heard the upgraded version of the 440, being the AT150mlx. Would you recommend that one as well?

This is not an upgraded version of the 440 it is a completely different model and it shows with the price. Have not heard it so cannot comment, however , if you have the money. ;-)

Otherwise the 440 will do perfectly well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts