admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is probably the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard... But what is to stop me ditching the in-door speakers and all that rubbish and bunging a pair of standmount speakers on my parcel shelf (solidly affixed of course) and using a DC-DC converter to power a DC accepting power amp? that may require some modification to get it to work... like gutting out the PSU of an amp that uses around 14.4V internally and using the battery power, all within my abilities. Just wondering if it would be a total waste of time or just.. undeniably cool;) I've got an old pair of tannoy MR's sitting idle. They are nice compact little rear speakers which I think would be the ones to fit the bill in this instance. I've also got an old Rotel RA01 and a porked Cambridge audio A1 (volume knob dud and not replacable). I guess I could nick the power amp out of the CA, but I think it runs at 18V which would be a problem, but not an unfixable one.

A

Anonymous

just get an Alpine 4 channel car amp, these are the most musical i have heard. beautiful sound.

A

Anonymous

problem is that the majority of car speakers are very low impedance, so a pair of 8 ohm standmounts probably wont go too loud with an amp designed for ~2 ohm speakers.

A

Anonymous

Not completely silly but would advise the following.

The main imaging in a quality car audio set-up is from the front, as in a normal home system. The rear is generally used as a "fill" so on good car systems, the quality components are up front.

With your amplifier idea, just use a small 12V to 240V inverter and "plug her in " because you can switch the inverter with the blue car stereo trigger lead or run off an ignition controlled supply.

I have done this to use a Boston Acoustics home cinema Subwoofer in the boot of a BMW and it works fantastically.

As long as you have front and rear phono outputs on your head unit so you can control the volume from there, a pair of power amps would be a powerful solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts