Canton DM50 - Volume fault?

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up the DM50. I've no experience whatsoever of sound bars/bases or home cinema, but it sounds amazing. However, I've had it just over a week and on three occasions the volume has started going up of it's own accord, until you actively turn it down. (And, no - I wasn't sitting on the remote!)

Every so often the volume also flashes up, as if it's being pressed.

Anyone else experienced this?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Neal,

Glad you're enjoying the DM50 despite this odd behaviour! I'll forward this onto Canton for comment.

I have one thought/question in meantime... The Canton soundbases are designed to 'learn' commands from other remote controls - so you can move to using a single remote for your TV and soundbase. Is there a possibility other remotes were being used at the same time, which the Canton picked up as a command?

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Clare, thanks for getting back to me.

No, there were not any other remotes being used at the time.

I've already tried using my Sony TV remote to operate the volume, but that isn't working properly either. On the TV remote, I can turn the volume down, but not up. I've tried resetting it several times but it makes no difference.

Any thoughts? Is there anyway of resetting the system? Is the volume going up automatically a fixable fault?

Cheers

Neal

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, Canton have been unable to replicate this issue, or find other reports, so you may have a faulty unit. We suggest you return it to your retailer and exchange it for a new one. Check they have stock first; should be a simple swap out.

candlestrobe

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Set up my new Canton D50 tonight and was really enjoying it but it has now started randomly going into standby then switching back on for a couple of minutes then going into standby then switching back on then... .well. you get the idea. No rhyme or reason or timed cycle, just random on and offness... Bit upset really as was an early Christmas treat for family (well, me mostly!). Great bit of kit though when working and not keen on hassle of returning it.. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear that! Have you ruled out interference from other remote controls (as the Canton is capable of 'learning' commands from other remotes)? Otherwise it could be a faulty unit, in which case you'll need to return to retailer for an exchange, I'm afraid...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I had a simmilar problem with my tv.turns out it was the remote causing the problem.remove the batterires and check if it happens.Weird enough after a few month the problem went away.

candlestrobe

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Great advice, thanks!

Ending up retraining the Canton remote to learn itself, as (I think) power off on the TV remote was doing weird IR priority things.. I hope so anyway. Left it over night and it didn't power down at all...

Have just been listening to the TRON soundtrack and bloomin' loving the sound. Really pleasurable listening.. Now just need to work out how to balance voices and explosions :cool:

Hi Guys,

Just Bought the above unit. I connected the unit to my sky hd box via coax (DVD slot) and to the tv via optical.

When I am on TV on the canton, the sound of sky is low and not as full. However when I switch to DVD the sound is higher and obviuosly better. I have tried also to connect the canton to the sky box via optical and again the sound is better when connected to sky box rather than to the TV.

The sound setting on my sky HD box is Dolby D for optical and Normal for HDMI.

Any advice, anyone has the same issue?

I also noticed inorder to get good sound I have to reach 60 and above on the Volume, anyone with the same?

Thanks

chapperz

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Neal Andrews said:
Just picked up the DM50.  I've no experience whatsoever of sound bars/bases or home cinema, but it sounds amazing.  However, I've had it just over a week and on three occasions the volume has started going up of it's own accord, until you actively turn it down.  (And, no - I wasn't sitting on the remote!) ?

Every so often the volume also flashes up, as if it's being pressed. ?

Did you solve this problem?

I'm on my second system (the first randomly muted itself so was returned) and now this one is doing the same as you describe. It randomly flashes up the volume, and occasionally the volume will creep up by itself. I have also noticed that if I don't point the remote directly at the system, the volume down button actually causes the volume to increase! Point it directly at the unit though and its fine.

Is there any way to reset the remote?

chapperz

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
candlestrobe said:
Great advice, thanks!

Ending up retraining the Canton remote to learn itself, as (I think) power off on the TV remote was doing weird IR priority things.. I hope so anyway. Left it over night and it didn't power down at all...

Have just been listening to the TRON soundtrack and bloomin' loving the sound. Really pleasurable listening.. Now just need to work out how to balance voices and explosions  :cool:.

How did you retrain your remote?

HugoZ

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Neal Andrews said:
Just picked up the DM50. I've no experience whatsoever of sound bars/bases or home cinema, but it sounds amazing. However, I've had it just over a week and on three occasions the volume has started going up of it's own accord, until you actively turn it down. (And, no - I wasn't sitting on the remote!)

Every so often the volume also flashes up, as if it's being pressed.

My unit is doing all sorts of very strange things, switching on by itself, flashing the volume level, displaying all the different modes.... Silly question but how do I make the remote relearn itself

nickbhogal

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I have an issue with the Canton DM55...purchased in January 2016.

The unit powers ON (Green light), says "TV", Volume, then powers off again.

This happens repeatedly.

I've tried to reset it but no joy?

Anyone have any ideas.

TRENDING THREADS