Cant hear a difference, or is my hearing that bad. Trivista21 DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Situation is I have my Marantz SA15 going via a Kimber D60 digital IC into a Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC which is then connected to a MF A5 Int and Power (SACD Input) via Audioquest Emerald Hyperlitz IC, speakers are bi-amped Monitor Audio GS10s, via Chord Carnival Silver Plus biwire. I also have the CD connected direct to the Amp (CD input) via Chord Chameleon Silver Plus ICs (bypassing the DAC). While listening I seriously cant tell the difference between the through DAC or direct :-( Surely the Trivista should be streets ahead? Or is as per one of my previous posts, my GS10 speakers are holding the whole lot back? Your thoughts would be great, What Hifi team also :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I surprised too but that shouldn't have anything to do with your speakers!!!

may be the Marantz is so very good, may be the DAC is over rated or your hearing that bad!

A

Anonymous

Flog the DAC on Ebay.

Your listening test doesn't surprise me at all.

A

Anonymous

Is the TriVista21 not a good DAC then? I was looking at the KW DAC originally, are DACs a pointless exercise for £1000 and above CD players?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Evotim"]Is the TriVista21 not a good DAC then? I was looking at the KW DAC originally, are DACs a pointless exercise for £1000 and above CD players?[/quote]

Well, it must be a good DAC or it would sound worse than the inbuilt one?? and your comparison seems to prove that it was a pointless exercise in your case. If I ever spent £1000 on a CD player I would be very miffed indeed if the DAC in it was poor.

Regards Ed

A

Anonymous

I see that side, however the Trivista was a £1200 Tube Dac, so I would expect it to be better than a combined Transport and DAC at £1000 in the Marantz, the other differenece being the Marantz is only a solid state output as compared with a tube output on the Trivista. Dont get me worng the Marantz sounds great, jus wanted take its standard CD sound to an even higher level.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]...may be the Marantz is so very good,may be the DAC is over rated...[/quote]

I agree. My 15S1 combo is simply amazing! - ofcourse this is in IMHO.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Evotim"]Situation is I have my Marantz SA15 going via a Kimber D60 digital IC into a Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC which is then connected to a MF A5 Int and Power (SACD Input) via Audioquest Emerald Hyperlitz IC, speakers are bi-amped Monitor Audio GS10s, via Chord Carnival Silver Plus biwire. I also have the CD connected direct to the Amp (CD input) via Chord Chameleon Silver Plus ICs (bypassing the DAC). While listening I seriously cant tell the difference between the through DAC or direct :-( Surely the Trivista should be streets ahead? Or is as per one of my previous posts, my GS10 speakers are holding the whole lot back? Your thoughts would be great, What Hifi team also :)[/quote]

I wouldn't say that this means your speakers are holding you back, I'd say it means your DAC is definitely not your weak link. the higher end MAs are supposed to be really good with details, my GR20's certainly are and they're really old compared to the newer, faster and more dynamic GS range. What's this SACD input the MF has? a pre-amp input with higher frequency range or something?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]What's this SACD input the MF has? a pre-amp input with higher frequency range or something?[/quote]

No! as far as I know, all of A5 line inputs are all the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts