Can you turn off upscaling on the Panasonic UB900EB?

lloyd_christmas

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm considering getting the Panasonic UB900EB and pairing it with the LG OLED55E6V and Yamaha RXA3060 AV receiver. My question concerns the best way to set-up the upscaling for non-4k content coming from the blu-ray player.

My understanding was that it's generally (although not always) best to let the TV do the upscaling, therefore I want to know if it's possible to turn off the upscaling altogether from the blu-ray player and simply let the video pass-through the AV receiver straight to the TV.

Don't know if this is the best way to go about things, any help much appreciated.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

lloyd_christmas said:
Hi, I'm considering getting the Panasonic UB900EB and pairing it with the LG OLED55E6V and Yamaha RXA3060 AV receiver. My question concerns the best way to set-up the upscaling for non-4k content coming from the blu-ray player.

My understanding was that it's generally (although not always) best to let the TV do the upscaling, therefore I want to know if it's possible to turn off the upscaling altogether from the blu-ray player and simply let the video pass-through the AV receiver straight to the TV.

Don't know if this is the best way to go about things, any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Are you sure you don't want the new Oppo 4K Blu Ray player, it will be able to do Dolby Vision like your TV via a future firmware update? Going to cost about £600 but some dealers might knock off £50 if you ask about a discount. With regards to your problem I just thought the TV was doing the up scaling when I had that combination. Might be wrong though, anyone else know? Cheers.

According to AV forums:

"When it comes to setting up the UB900 you have the choice of upscaling lower resolution content to 4K in the player itself or in the display but it is probably easiest just to let the player handle all the upscaling and send a 4K signal straight to your TV or projector. The player offers the choice of the following Video Format options - Automatic, 576p/480p, 1080i, 1080p or 4K. If you choose Automatic, the UB900 will upscale all lower resolution content to the Ultra HD resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, thus matching the native resolution your 4K display. The Panasonic also includes 4K direct chroma upscaling which can take Full HD Blu-ray or 1080p video streaming services and, using a high-precision multi-tap filter, take the Full HD 4:2:0 signal and upscale it to 4K/4:4:4.

We tested the upscaling of the player with high definition content from regular Blu-rays and from video steaming services, as well as standard definition content from DVD. Overall the UB900 proved to be a very capable performer but that doesn't come as a surprise, Panasonic have been delivering superb video processing for years. As a result the player handled high definition content exceptionally well, delivering upscaled images that were detailed and free of unwanted artefacts. The player also managed to upscale DVDs effectively, which is even more impressive when you consider the processing is turning just over 400,000 pixels into over 8,000,000 pixels!"

If you want to let the TV do the upscaling, you'll need to manually select "1080p" when playing blu rays, and lower resolution to match the DVD resolution, when playing DVDs. Best to let the player do the upscaling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts