Can you splice Ethernet cable?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Need to move a wall Ethernet socket. May need to lengthen the cable as a result.

Can I splice the cable and if so what's the best method?

Not sure if it's possible, but splicing seems a bit of a chore when you could just use an RJ45 coupler

UT-250CT6.jpg

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Need to move a wall Ethernet socket. May need to lengthen the cable as a result.

Can I splice the cable and if so what's the best method?

Not sure if it's possible, but splicing seems a bit of a chore when you could just use an RJ45 coupler

Good plan if the cable has a connector on the end. Otherwise, this should do

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Inline-Punch-Coupler-Cables/dp/B003OSLS4M/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1459498025&sr=1-2&keywords=cat+6+inline+coupler

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

The cable in question doesn't have an RJ45 plug on the end, as it currently runs to the back of an in-wall outlet. If only life were that easy....

Got one of those push-fit splicers at my electronics store yesterday.

Planning to leave the existing cable run, run a splice to the new location. At best I'll get two usable outlets (doubtful without a switch behind the plasterboard) at worst an either / or option.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Turned out the in-wall cable I needed to move ran the opposite way, so rather than needing to lengthen it, I could have shortened it!

Anyway, job done, television in the guest bedroom hanging on the wall (we've got more tellies than Currys I reckon) and I can splice a patch back to the original socket if / when needed, either off the back of the new socket or using in-and-out patch cables to an ethernet switch and two sockets on the new wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts