• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Can you really trust hi fi dealers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gel

Moderator
You have to be careful. Read all terms and conditions and only buy if you are 100 per cent sure. Sometimes you can pay extra for the shops expertise - that's what I do.
 

Gazzip

New member
Jan 15, 2011
88
0
0
I have mainly dealt with Jordan Acoustics in Bournemouth, Guildford Audio, Sonata HiFi in Kilburn and Fanthorpes in Hull. All have been upstanding, honest and flexible, and none have made me keep a product I had bought but later decided wasn't for me. They are all passionate about HiFi and all offer advice regardless of whether they are going to make a sale. Of course they all try to sell the brands they stock, but I have never been coerced in to taking a direction I wasn't entirely happy with.

With Fanthorpes I had a bad experience with some Cyrus Mono X300's. I basically went through three faulty pairs before I gave up on the brand. Not once did they moan at me during that frustrating period for all parties, although Cyrus were very quick to point their finger of blame in my direction it has to be said. Fanthorpes even offered to get a fourth pair of 300's and come to London (250 miles each way) to check my installation etc.. I said no to the Cyrus and purchased some Bryston from Fanthorpes instead. I haven't looked back and have put £10K's through them since.

Maybe I have just been lucky but I can't imagine getting that kind of service if I was buying off the internet. I'm happy as pie with my dealers!
 

Gazzip

New member
Jan 15, 2011
88
0
0
jjbomber said:
chebby said:
I want 5 cartridges demo'd on the same TT I have now (but 5 of them at once so I can do intantaneous comparisons).
I don't know of a TT that can play 5 cartridges at the same time. *biggrin*
This does 4...

 

Gazzip

New member
Jan 15, 2011
88
0
0
davedotco said:
But we did once have a Garrard 401 with 3 SME 3009 arms with detatchable headshells.
Definitely not a machine for spinning a few records after a night in ther pub...
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:
But we did once have a Garrard 401 with 3 SME 3009 arms with detatchable headshells.
Definitely not a machine for spinning a few records after a night in ther pub...
One of my regulars was a bit of a clubber, brought his player in one morning with the entire cantilever missing from his cartridge.

Admitted that he had just got in from a night out and had to try a bit of 'scratching' for himself. His player was one of our favourites at the time, a Xerxes in piano black, Series V arm and the wonderful Kiseki Purple Heart Saphire.

The bill was around £600 for an exchange PHS, a hell of a lot less than the Koetsu Red he had been contemplating.
 

Al ears

Moderator
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:
But we did once have a Garrard 401 with 3 SME 3009 arms with detatchable headshells.
Definitely not a machine for spinning a few records after a night in ther pub...
One of my regulars was a bit of a clubber, brought his player in one morning with the entire cantilever missing from his cartridge.

Admitted that he had just got in from a night out and had to try a bit of 'scratching' for himself. His player was one of our favourites at the time, a Xerxes in piano black, Series V arm and the wonderful Kiseki Purple Heart Saphire.

The bill was around £600 for an exchange PHS, a hell of a lot less than the Koetsu Red he had been contemplating.
And he scratches with that sort of cartridge?? The guys obviously a very witch rat .... ;-)
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:
But we did once have a Garrard 401 with 3 SME 3009 arms with detatchable headshells.
Definitely not a machine for spinning a few records after a night in ther pub...
One of my regulars was a bit of a clubber, brought his player in one morning with the entire cantilever missing from his cartridge.

Admitted that he had just got in from a night out and had to try a bit of 'scratching' for himself. His player was one of our favourites at the time, a Xerxes in piano black, Series V arm and the wonderful Kiseki Purple Heart Saphire.

The bill was around £600 for an exchange PHS, a hell of a lot less than the Koetsu Red he had been contemplating.
And he scratches with that sort of cartridge?? The guys obviously a very witch rat .... ;-)
Just got a bit carried away. Can't remember what electronics he had but definitely SF Electa Amator speakers. City boy, really nice chap.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Macspur said:
It's a bit of a generalisation to say you can't trust dealers... like all business's there's good and bad. The knack is to find the ones you like, cultivate and good relationship if you can and stick with them.

When I first started seriously buying HiFi I found a dealer in Brighton, he knew I was serious and passionate about the hobby, bought from his on a regular basis and it was never a bother if I wanted to listen to something and didn't end up buying... that store no longer exists in name, it was taken over by Audio T and the same guy is still there and I know if I were to pop in tomorrow and asked to hear something, it wouldn't be a problem.

I tend to now just deal with Guildford Audio and Audio Emotion... not particularly local, but again nothing is too much trouble for them.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
is that Julian in brighton macspur. Looks a bit like Donald Sutherland. He is a nice guy and I have had a great relationship with him, and the other two guys there , although don't tend to find their prices fantastic unfortunately.

Also reminds me of this guy does Julian https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Thewlis

the employee guy at Guildford audio is a bit lazy and was the one who couldn't even be bothered to put a rigged up system on. They are real cash grabbers there and not for me. The two guys at audio t Southampton are very good and friendly and like Julian, give you time. I avoid future audio in east grinstead, terrible service and give you the run around. Chasing and chasing and chasing. No way.
Yes it's Julien, I remember I bought a Naim CDX2 off him about 5 years ago and when it arrived it didn't work, so he drove all the way up from Brighton to Bromley with a new machine.

As for the guys at Guildford, they've always been prepared to come out to me with equipment to demo and often left it with me to play with.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

Pedro

New member
May 31, 2016
4
0
0
Some time ago I bought a Nait 5si in a local dealer. It was a saturday morning and for some reason the payment terminal wasn't working.

I said I could to drive to some ATM (there isn't one nearby) and the guy replied I could make the bank transfer when I got home. And he just handed me the amp. No ID or anything. He just asked for my address, in order to send me the invoice.

It was the first time we met, but not the last haha.

True story.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
He didn't have a card print slip like on cards in 80s? Went into a few shops today, some had card terminals down, only one shop (fatface) had card slips bizarrely.
 

Pedro

New member
May 31, 2016
4
0
0
It was a fairly recent terminal, like the ones we have in every supermarket and shop over here. For some reason it was off.
But the guy just said that after talking to me he trusted me. Brilliant guy and not only because of that story.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Well if anything gets trust more than that, I couldn't think what it could be!
 

Muddywaterstones

New member
Apr 21, 2016
5
0
0
It all depends. For matters of hi-fi I probably would trust them. I've two independent dealers that I swap between with good results. The one I prefer rarely moves on price but there are other benefits.

Outside of their speciality I probably wouldn't hold too much trust. Sure they'd be grand lads to have a pint with but would either of them take a bullet.......no chance. Nor would I expect it.
 

Alantiggger

New member
Oct 14, 2007
191
0
0
Think about it ?

THEN THINK HARD ABOUT IT ALL ?

These folks were suckering , in Some cases BIG TIME TOO.... Suckering decent normal folks into purchasing meters of MEGA EXPENSIVE WIRE , speaker wire...(wire of all things).

Such a RIP OFF !
 

Leif

New member
May 11, 2014
26
1
0
Yes and no. An awful lot of people believe that speaker cables can make a significant difference to the sound, so I'm sure many dealers genuinely believe it too. And I'm sure that some see it as a sales opportunity, and know they make little to no audible difference.

I've dealt with several Seven Oaks shops, the staff were helpful and non pushy. Oddly one gave me a demo of an Arcam Solo Movie that was already setup for a demo that had just been cancelled, and the sound was atrocious, I have no idea what he'd done to ruin it. Then when I asked for another demo, this time using my own CDs, and source, they did not even reply. I went on to spend £2,000 on amp and speakers elsewhere. Very odd.

One AudioT chap did seem to push me in his preferred direction. However, it was obvious, so I was inclined to go elsewhere. Basically a dealer should allow you to demo gear, and not push you in a given direction, whilst letting you know of the available choices. Seven Oaks seem quite good in that respect. Richer Sounds are too.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts