Can you explain?

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Why does music sound its best when my system has been on a while, from cold it still sounds good but quite harsh, the longer its on the better it sounds with a natrual warm sound without any harshness, why is this? How does it make a difference when the amp etc is cold?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

Its a bit like trying to take your car out and drive it fast and hard when the engine is cold. Its not going to like it and wont behave properly. The oils thick and cold, the engine is a little stiff and the tyres are cold so: Not very good grip and the engines not responsive etc...

You need to let your hifi 'warm up' before you hear it at its best. Bit like the car, let the engine warm through then its play time!

Sorry... Im an avid fan of letting my car warm up properly and not going over 3k revs before it has. Ive a Honda Integra DC5 with a fair bit of engine work done to it so its religion to me. 13k rev limit - believe me, it needs to warm up first! Haha... :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

Sorry... Im an avid fan of letting my car warm up properly and not going over 3k revs before it has. Ive a Honda Integra DC5 with a fair bit of engine work done to it so its religion to me. 13k rev limit - believe me, it needs to warm up first! Haha... :)[/quote]

Absolutely.... you'd be pumping out blue smoke before you could say "knackered rings".

13k rpm.......hells teeth.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

Sorry... Im an avid fan of letting my car warm up properly and not going over 3k revs before it has. Ive a Honda Integra DC5 with a fair bit of engine work done to it so its religion to me. 13k rev limit - believe me, it needs to warm up first! Haha... :)[/quote]

13k rpm.......hells teeth.
[/quote]

Yup... same comments (or similar with a hint of turrets) at the cost haha...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

Its a bit like trying to take your car out and drive it fast and hard when the engine is cold. Its not going to like it and wont behave properly. The oils thick and cold, the engine is a little stiff and the tyres are cold so: Not very good grip and the engines not responsive etc...

You need to let your hifi 'warm up' before you hear it at its best. Bit like the car, let the engine warm through then its play time!

13K? Care to post some images? Sounds a little high even for a Vtec. Thats like on a par with my bike![/quote]

Its actually not that high for a Honda Vtec now, the iVtec (in the newer Type R's) can actually take more abuse than the 'old skool' version. My engine has had £20k of internal work done including being bored out to 2.4, re-sleeved and all Skunk2 Stage 3 internals (rods, pistons, cranks, sleeves, rings etc). The ECU is a stand alone system and theres all sorts else done as well.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]13k rev limit - believe me, it needs to warm up first! Haha... :)[/quote]

You sure someone didn't take the engine out and replace it with a two stroke from a Yamaha 350LC?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

13K? Care to post some images? Sounds a little high even for a Vtec. Thats like on a par with my bike![/quote]

Its actually not that high for a Honda Vtec now, the iVtec (in the newer Type R's) can actually take more abuse than the 'old skool' version. My engine has had £20k of internal work done including being bored out to 2.4, re-sleeved and all Skunk2 Stage 3 internals (rods, pistons, cranks, sleeves, rings etc). The ECU is a stand alone system and theres all sorts else done as well.

[/quote]

just a shame its front wheel drive aye lol

nads

if it is going up to 13k where the hell does the power come in? my little Monster has a Max at 9k but no more useful power over 8-8.5k, but i did build it for torque and the design is 50 odd year old. ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kitkat"]Why does music sound its best when my system has been on a while, from cold it still sounds good but quite harsh, the longer its on the better it sounds with a natrual warm sound without any harshness, why is this? How does it make a difference when the amp etc is cold?[/quote]

Well, the amplifier warms up. As you warm up a semiconductor you lower it's resistance. The transistors in your amp therefore become more efficient and more able to deliver instantaneous power to your speakers. On top of that, a similar thing occurs in your power supply. The rectifying circuitry (diodes, also made from semiconductors) will present less of an obstacle for charging the smoothing capacitors, which will now be fully charged anyway as apposed to still charging up that last few percent.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Integra DC2 and DC5's have been proven to be the best front wheel handling car designed. They can outperform hell of alot of rear wheel drive cars due to their stability and grip as well as being able to 'turn on a penny'

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]if it is going up to 13k where the hell does the power come in? my little Monster has a Max at 9k but no more useful power over 8-8.5k, but i did build it for torque and the design is 50 odd year old. ;)[/quote]

The main power band comes in from 8700 to 10500, the redline starts at 11500 (thats when the fuel mixture becomes too rich and lots of black smoke lol)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]13k rev limit - believe me, it needs to warm up first! Haha... :)[/quote]

You sure someone didn't take the engine out and replace it with a two stroke from a Yamaha 350LC?[/quote]

Naah, even that won't go that high. I reckon it's a 250cc 4-cyl out of a CBR250... they have an 18k redline!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="d_a_n1979"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Because the internal components have all nicely warmed up :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Integra DC2 and DC5's have been proven to be the best front wheel handling car designed. They can outperform hell of alot of rear wheel drive cars due to their stability and grip as well as being able to 'turn on a penny'[/quote]

The DC2 is one of the finest handling front wheel drive cars yes........not the DC5 , no way hosay

A

Anonymous

All this talk of bikes is making me miss my 748... Some vandals broke it
emotion-6.gif
having said that part of he insurance went on the new system since everyone i know up in glasgow rides like idiots in 30 or 40 limits which takes some of the fun out of it.

One day i'll fix my nc30... it was more fun anyway!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

13K rpm? Forget an in-car stereo! I thought 9000rpm in my dad's M3 was alot! The Harmon/Kardon hi-fi in that is pretty awful though...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Haha...

No in car hifi, no interior!

Just drivers and passengers seat, seat belts (well 5-point harness's) and the dash/wheel etc...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
At work so only got this pic

This is before it has been fully stripped. Wheels have changed as well now, similar style but in matt-black and stuipidly light

tegtyperDC5-1.jpg

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how much is the insurance for a customised car like that? I'm afraid those times have passed me now and I thought the alloy wheels on my Mondeo were too blingy. :D BTW, not really important but it's separates, not seperates. The easy way to remember is the word has two e's and two a's, so if yours has three e's, you've spelt it wrong. :eek:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts