Can You Connect Two Integrated Amps Together?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, as the title suggests, can you connect two Integrated Amps together and if so how and most importantly, would it damage anything?

The reason for this (mad) question is that i was thinking of somehow connecting my Arcam A65 to my Arcam Alpha 5+ Amp and using the Alpha 5+ in another room powering another pair of speakers.

My A65 has got Pre Outs but my Alpha 5+ hasn't. My A65 would be the main Amp and would have all of my sources connected to it, i was just woundering if i could some how connect the A65 to my Alpha 5+ in a way so it would take a feed from the A65 so i could use it as a multi room system.

Thanks, and look forward to your replies.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up Andrew. I thought that way might of worked but thought i would ask first as i didn't want to risk any fires or blowing anything on the amps.

Thanks

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I you do it that way then both amps will have independent volume. If you want the A65 to be a master volume then you could use the pre-outs rather than the tape. You would still have control on the Alpha as well. Depends what you want.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that Crocodile, i'll try both ways and see which is best.

Do you know if i would be able to daisey chain more amps by connecting another amp from the Alpha 5+ tape out?

I know this seems abit of a long winded way to get multi room but i have got a couple of unused Intergretaed Amps laying around and it would seem a shame to throw or sell them and thought why not try and get some good use out of them.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Gareth82 said:
Do you know if i would be able to daisey chain more amps by connecting another amp from the Alpha 5+ tape out?
Can't think of any reason why not other than distance. You're dealing with relatively low signal through thin co-ax cable so the greater the distance, the more likelihood of signal degradation. That's theoretical though as it's something I've never tried.

There's also the possibility of creating hum through a ground loop but there's no way of predicting that.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
TBH it would only be needed for three downstairs rooms, Front Room with A65, Dining Room with Alpha 5+ and then the Kitchen with another Amp so the distance between the three Amps wouldn't be too great.

Guess i won't know about the humming issue untill i connect everything up and then try it. Halloween is coming up soon and should be having some sort of party so will be good to see how it will sound and perform with three Amps running at the same time.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Gareth82 said:
Halloween is coming up soon and should be having some sort of party so will be good to see how it will sound and perform with three Amps running at the same time.
Fireworks always go down well on Halloween... ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts