Can upscaling be turned off on Panasonic 310 blu ray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well I've had my new Panny a few days now and the blu ray picture quality is great - slightly better motion than ps3. My amp hasn't arrived yet so I'm holding fire on sound but I'm sure it will be great. I am, however, disappointed with the upscaling qualities with DVD so my rather basic question is can I turn the upscaling off on the Panny so it can all be done by the amp which I know ups upscales amazingly well? Or is this not how it works? I looked through the manual but couldn't find anything pertaining to this.

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
MrMagoo said:
Well I've had my new Panny a few days now and the blu ray picture quality is great - slightly better motion than ps3. My amp hasn't arrived yet so I'm holding fire on sound but I'm sure it will be great. I am, however, disappointed with the upscaling qualities with DVD so my rather basic question is can I turn the upscaling off on the Panny so it can all be done by the amp which I know ups upscales amazingly well? Or is this not how it works? I looked through the manual but couldn't find anything pertaining to this.

Only slightly better on motion? Mmm replaced my Sony S363 with the Panny 110 model and personally found the picture quality alot better in terms of clarity and picture depth however the MOST stunning difference between the 2 machines is the sound. the quality of Panny over the Sony is very obvious I'd say and really pleasing. I really very happy with the Panny.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's not very clear in the manual, but you should be able to set the output to 576p for DVDs - this will output in DVD's native format and you can then get your amp or TV to upscale as you prefer. You should be able to do this in the Setup > TV / Device Connection > HDMI Connection > HDMI Video Format menu.

You'll need to set this back to Automatic when watching Blu-rays though!

A

Anonymous

Great...sounds a bit messy though. If I leave it as it is will the amp still upscale DVDs. Sheehanjuk the ps3 is a hell of a blu ray player in my humble opinion and I can see picture improvements - like I said with particular reference to motion. The ps3 upscaling is far superior however and the overall image quality is not light years away.

A

Anonymous

It might be a lack of understanding on my part but I'm thinking upscale (blu ray - not great quality), then upscale again (amp - good quality) or does it not work like that?

Blu-ray images do not upscale. They're 1080p to start with already. DVDs are 576p which has to fill the 1080p screen, so this is upscaled. Once the blu-ray player converts the 576p to fill 1080 screen, it's already upscaled, os the receiver won't have to upscale it even further.

Some are better upscalers than the others. Your amp, blu-ray player & TV all have the ability to upscale. A bit of experimenting with each will help you know which is the best upscaler of the lot.

TRENDING THREADS