Can this be done wrong? Is it wrong!?

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
419808_3244390793935_1285051248_n.jpg
First time i'd ever had to cut own cables etc, is this ok? I worry that i might of done it wrong, or is it just straight forward, doesn't matter too much?

I did buy some bannana plugs, but can't get them into the amps inputs, so just done it like this...

398662_3244391433951_1391835820_3170349_1928998621_n.jpg

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
To use banana plugs you need to take out the litte red and black plastic 'gromits' from the binding posts. Use a stanley knife with the posts screwed all the way in, or another trick, use a wood screw and carefully screw into the plastic and pull them out.

On the amp, does it have the same plastic Grommit plugs, or does it use spring clips, for example? What amp is it?

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i was aware of this just after i ordered some, just not sure if it's worth doing untill i get longer cable runs...

The speakers should be ok to do that, the amp is a yamaha as-500... I'm not sure how you take fit banana plugs to it though, it has something in the manual but obviously not for UK/Europe...

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Just had a look at the A-S500.

I think the non EU/UK models alow it, but not the EU/UK models, as in the EU, some power sockets are the same 4mm diameter as the standard 4mm banana plug. So they dont want people plugging mains into their amps, I believe.

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that sounds about right, but its possible to pop banana plugs into the BX2's once i get them stoppers out?

I wouldn't know where to start to attach the bannana plugs, do they need to be soldered?

Thanks for your help!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yep its fine to have banana plugs on the speaker end, and bare wire at the amp end.

With the banana plug, there is usually a plastic cap/outer casing that you will need to unscrew off to get to the inside of the banana plug.

Depending on model, they will either have 1 or 2 small grub screws that you need to unscrew and push the cable in the open end, then re-tighten up the grub screw(s). Be carefull not too unscrew them too far otherwise they will fall out, and they are very easy to loose!

A guide here-

http://www.chromeaudio.com.au/blog/how-to-select-and-install-banana-plugs-17/

They may not have any grup screws, in which case you will need to solder them, like the Chord ones. Others like QED Airlocks are done at a dealer and use a pneumatic crimping tool, instead of solder/screws.

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Yep its fine to have banana plugs on the speaker end, and bare wire at the amp end.

With the banana plug, there is usually a plastic cap/outer casing that you will need to unscrew off to get to the inside of the banana plug.

Depending on model, they will either have 1 or 2 small grub screws that you need to unscrew and push the cable in the open end, then re-tighten up the grub screw(s). Be carefull not too unscrew them too far otherwise they will fall out, and they are very easy to loose!

A guide here-

http://www.chromeaudio.com.au/blog/how-to-select-and-install-banana-plugs-17/

They may not have any grup screws, in which case you will need to solder them, like the Chord ones. Others like QED Airlocks are done at a dealer and use a pneumatic crimping tool, instead of solder/screws.

Great thanks, they have got little screws, they are tiny yes! haha... May give it a go though my post above, bit concerned!?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
The MA stoppers should be fairly easy to remove. I think I used a small jeweller's flat blade screwdriver on my RS6.

According to this thread, the Yamaha may be a bit trickier but the screw trick should work:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/yamaha-as500-banana-plugs-how-to-fit-uk-bungs-have-been-removed-metal-is-seen

Bananas have different ways of connecting to the cable. Some have a grub screw or two, some are soldered & some clamp the cable witht he barrel. There's probably others as well so you probably need to post pics of those as well if you can't work it out.

Only thing I'd change with your current connection would be to feed the cables in from the bottom of the binding post rather than the top. As it is, you have the weight of the cable exerting force at an angle that could weaken/break strands.

Edit - MA posts are quite shallow so do tend to leave some of the plug exposed. Which reminds me that I need to have another look for some shorter plugs.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
seasonsdownfall said:
i've just tested it on one of the speakers got the little plastic cap out, but the banana plug only goes in about half way, is that ok!?

Yep that should be fine as long as the plug/terminal is not loose. They look quite short binding posts.

hnrk

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
This video shows how to easily remove the banana plug caps from Yamaha speaker connections: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuchv9-XvQ

I created my own tool with a piece of wire. It worked perfectly on my Yamaha RX-S600D:

IMG_20140313_131055.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
All I have ever done is ease them out gently with the tip of a very small screwdriver. Never fails. I keep them in a little bag in the original packaging in case the next owner wants them.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Removed dozens over the years without issue, then bought a pair of Mission 794s and needed to get the bradawl out. The fit was tight and flush, and there was absolute no way of removing them without putting a small hole in each one and pulling them out with a self-tapper.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
:bounce: Hurried home from my local dealer with a pair of MA surround speakers, used a small screwdriver to lift the caps out but caught more than the cap and completely snapped the binding post off |(

So half an hour after leaving the dealers shop I was walking back in with the same speakers looking rather sheepish :oops:

Thankfully they repaired them for free :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts