Can Oppo 105 play stuff like Dark Side of the Moon nonstop?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was just to enter into a conversation about ripping options and playback but having read your last post it is very clear that your not just an idiot(oppo have confirmed gappless playback is not possible)you are rather ignorant,and as Ben points out you are trying to be a troll...but not a very good one!!

please do not reply to this as i may just post a reward to find where you live and pay you a visit..... :rofl:

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, that is really becoming a HOT thread..

Coll off, guys! During a dispute the one who is cleverer is guilty. I wish both of you felt guilty :).

Let's speak about gapless playback. :cheers:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
or the lack off.... :rofl:

As i mentioned i recieved an email from oppouk stating that the 105 could not do gappless playback from flac etc etc..however they are looking into this,and they hope it can be rectified soon.

I'm more interested in the ios app in development but still no news.

I recommend you try some floyd sacd's my friend...the imaging is superb,takes 'ya back abit :grin:

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
I was just to enter into a conversation about ripping options and playback but having read your last post it is very clear that your not just an idiot(oppo have confirmed gappless playback is not possible)you are rather ignorant,and as Ben points out you are trying to be a troll...but not a very good one!!

please do not reply to this as i may just post a reward to find where you live and pay you a visit..... :rofl:

This is my last reply to you.. Cause you have made your self clear for everyone to see. :wave:

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:

As i mentioned i recieved an email from oppouk stating that the 105 could not do gappless playback from flac etc etc..however they are looking into this,and they hope it can be rectified soon.

GSB, I'm really thankful that you contacted Oppo. Even being affraid to look stupid or too hair-splitting, I really want to clarify one thing. Just to be 100% sure. Does the Oppo's reply "no gapless playback from flack" cover the case that I described? I mean if I would use ONE flack file for the whole album. Would in this case the player recognize this as one track, or as several tracks equal to number of songs inside this one flack file???

Please, trust me - there's no trolling :)

GSB said:
I recommend you try some floyd sacd's my friend...the imaging is superb,takes 'ya back abit :grin:

Really thanks a lot for the suggestion. I think I would try if I buy Oppo 105, but now I am really not sure because of the ideas of this thread. And also frankly speaking I am not eager too much to do that because if I am amazed by the Floyds' SACD recording I would want to listen to all my favourite albums by other bands in SACD. Though this may be a problem to get them.

By the way, do you listen DSOTM SACD as stereo or 5.1?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I can answer some of that: if you physically join the tracks together and save them as one file, then sure, any player is going to play it without gaps, be it Oppo or anything else. The player will think it's just one long song. What you will probably lose is the ability to 'track skip' within that one file, even if you leave track-markers in. (I'm not even sure if FLAC supports track-markers or regions within files, I've never tried; someone may know.)

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I can answer some of that: if you physically join the tracks together and save them as one file, then sure, any player is going to play it without gaps, be it Oppo or anything else. The player will think it's just one long song. What you will probably lose is the ability to 'track skip' within that one file, even if you leave track-markers in. (I'm not even sure if FLAC supports track-markers or regions within files, I've never tried; someone may know.)

Thanks a lot, MajorFubar.

Now it gives some hope! Still unfortunately no pure understanding. I made request to OPPO reference my previous post. Let's wait.

Regards,

Andrew

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Spotify seems to play some albums gapless so I should think it should be possible.

BigH, thanks!

But my aim is to know about 105's playback of flack files that I have in my collection in all the cases without exception.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Chaloff said:
GSB said:

GSB, I'm really thankful that you contacted Oppo. Even being affraid to look stupid or too hair-splitting, I really want to clarify one thing. Just to be 100% sure. Does the Oppo's reply "no gapless playback from flack" cover the case that I described? I mean if I would use ONE flack file for the whole album. Would in this case the player recognize this as one track, or as several tracks equal to number of songs inside this one flack file???

Please, trust me - there's no trolling :)

GSB said:

Really thanks a lot for the suggestion. I think I would try if I buy Oppo 105, but now I am really not sure because of the ideas of this thread. And also frankly speaking I am not eager too much to do that because if I am amazed by the Floyds' SACD recording I would want to listen to all my favourite albums by other bands in SACD. Though this may be a problem to get them.

By the way, do you listen DSOTM SACD as stereo or 5.1?
I have no idea if it would play a 'single'file as gapless,all i know is that i rip an album,then put it on my usb hard drive and plug it into the oppo...it is bothersom that it doesnt play my floyd/live albums without gaps,but i just play the album as a cd(which is awsome by the way).in total this only accounts for maybe 6 cd's from my collection,so not worries about lots of cd's to house.

I listen to DSOTM&WYWH in both stereo & sacd....they are just so different it is like night and day....my understanding is that a 5.1 mix is different to an sacd mix...but DSOTM is going for under £10,so please please give it a listen Andrew.The sound affects if you like on WYWH sacd mix are other worldly...it's like a different album compared with the stereo mix.I have ordered a few other sacd's but in the main a good stereo mix is great to listen to in 2 channel,so i don't think you would want all your fav albums in sacd format,esp when you see the price of alott of them... :O

If you are looking for a very very good blu-ray player,a very very good cd player and a great(referance) dac(dacs)for digital music i realy rate the oppo105...this isn't based on my opinion,but that of seasoned listeners and proffesionals alike :)

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is the reply from OPPO dd. March 21, 2013:

Andrew,

The BDP-105 does not currently support CUE files, though we do anticipate this being added through a future firmware release. Once enabled, the player will see a group of files as a single file, which will remove any gaps between tracks.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:
Chaloff, What is it you really want to know or achieve..If your question was (can it play gaplessthen that would have been staright forward).. Not everyone is farmilar with dark side of moon. Cause it started of as dark side of moon, then sense of humour, then gapless. Would really like to help.. I have yet to stream with the oppo 105.. Cause i play direct from laptop or my solid state hard drive. If it does not do gapless streaming am sure this would be corrected with a software update

I would also find out about this tomorrow cause i would be streaming sometime in the future.

Why are you sure it will be corrected with a software update? Speculation masquerading as fact helps no one :shame:

Quite so. It is also probably rubbish as I believe it would take a hardware update to get it to play gapless.

BenLaw and Alears, what do you say about OPPO's reply? As I understand you did not like the idea of solving the problem with firmware updates.

Thanks,

Andrew

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:
Chaloff, What is it you really want to know or achieve..If your question was (can it play gaplessthen that would have been staright forward).. Not everyone is farmilar with dark side of moon. Cause it started of as dark side of moon, then sense of humour, then gapless. Would really like to help.. I have yet to stream with the oppo 105.. Cause i play direct from laptop or my solid state hard drive. If it does not do gapless streaming am sure this would be corrected with a software update

I would also find out about this tomorrow cause i would be streaming sometime in the future.

Why are you sure it will be corrected with a software update? Speculation masquerading as fact helps no one :shame:

Quite so. It is also probably rubbish as I believe it would take a hardware update to get it to play gapless.

BenLaw and Alears, what do you say about OPPO's reply? As I understand you did not like the idea of solving the problem with firmware updates.

Thanks,

Andrew

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
OPPO replied when they are going to release firmware with gapless playback:

Andrew,

We hope to have this kind of support in the next firmware release which will come out by the end of this month.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

By the way I need to point out that OPPO replied to my requests immediately. It was me who postponed to paste them here.

Hopefully, as I did some job about the subject, when OPPO releases new firmware, the gapless playback of flac files on OPPO players would be named after me: "Chaloff playback"!!! Drop it. That's a joke :)

Thanks indeed to everybody who left comments here!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Chaloff said:
Alears said:
BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:

Thanks,

Andrew

I'm very pleased :) Their communication also sounds very impressive. I didn't actually comment on whether it was possible to do as a software update, just observing that NB said he was 'sure' this would happen when he actually had no idea. You have done the right thing and actually asked the question and got a very hopeful response. Keep us updated as to whether this actually happens, it will make the oppo much more desirable for those who stream their music.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I was not certain gapless play back could be updated with software on the 105. But having said that with new tech these days almost any update is possible. Am a owner of 105 so am glade this is been looked into.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Me too...by the way are firmware updates sent regardless of what country one lives in?

The reason i ask is that oppo uk could not give a hint as to when/if new firmware would sort the problem :roll:

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
A great news from OPPO:

Andrew,

CUE support was added to the latest Beta Firmware (https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-50-0323B.aspx) which was released last week.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Well I think think their service is wonderful!

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:
Me too...by the way are firmware updates sent regardless of what country one lives in?

The reason i ask is that oppo uk could not give a hint as to when/if new firmware would sort the problem :roll:

I asked them about it too.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
What is "CUE support" in plain English? Does it mean the gapless playback it should have had before being released?

I am afraid my English is not plain, but I'll try to tell.

After ripping your CD you will have the two main files - one flac file with all the songs + cue file. You can not find at once the beginning of any track except the first one inside that flac file if you use it alone. But when you open cue file it shows you the list of the tracks inside the flac file. You can choose any song by clicking on the song name and play it.

So this "cue support" is not actually that gapless playback that I was inquiring about at the start. I was asking if I can play several flac files w/o gaps (and this is how I keep my discography - one file for one song). But the solution that OPPO is offering now is quite ok for me. I can have albums like DSOTM and concert recordings as one flac file + cue to easilly find any track. Not the best solution but is much better than hearing gaps in concert recordings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts