Can Oppo 105 play stuff like Dark Side of the Moon nonstop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Andrew Everard said:
Alears said:
All I know is that when I download a classical album from B&W it comes as a single flac file.

Are you sure? Whenever I've downloaded from the B&W SoS it comes down as a single zip file, but this unzips into a folder of FLAC files – one for each track – plus pdf liner notes and a jpg cover-shot

You are quite right Andrew I was talking out of my a**e. That should read one folder (that is indeed zipped). So please ignore my comments regards files.

I have still not had opportunity to experiment yet so still cannot reply to the OP's question. As it is not documented my best guess would be to say NO.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's bizarre if it can't. It should be a default ability. I know it's fundamentally a BD player but a half-implemented feature is neither use nor ornament.

FLACs, MP3 and other compressed files are different to WAVs and non-compressed files because they need to be decompressed before they will play. But the player presumably 'knows' what the next track is, and it should surely have enough memory onboard to decompress the track and buffer it in advance of the current track finishng. a 1GB buffer would cover pretty-much anything you threw at it.

I know some cheap MP3 players can't do it, but with a range-topping player you shouldn't even have to ask.

MajorFubar said:
It's bizarre if it can't. It should be a default ability. I know it's fundamentally a BD player but a half-implemented feature is neither use nor ornament. FLACs, MP3 and other compressed files are different to WAVs and non-compressed files because they need to be decompressed before they will play. But the player presumably 'knows' what the next track is, and it should surely have enough memory onboard to decompress the track and buffer it in advance of the current track finishng. a 1GB buffer would cover pretty-much anything you threw at it. I know some cheap MP3 players can't do it, but with a range-topping player you shouldn't even have to ask.

You are right there but if this ability is fundamental to some people because of their use of compressed files then you would think it would certainly be mentioned somewhere in the literature, but I can't find it. As you state it is basically a Blu-Ray player (although its a 'swiss-army knife' really) perhaps its networking function is just a tack-on? However I very much doubt it and can only suggest the OP tries to email Oppo direct for an answer if it is crucial in a buy or not buy decision.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely, and if they come back with an answer that basically says "we don't know what you mean", then don't buy it, if playing gapless FLACs is a make or break decision.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Am proud owner of oppo 105.. It has played everything I put through it.. And the sound is very clean without sounding clinycal. The pictures are as good as it gets.. I would recommend it to anyone. Not one single regret.. ever thing just works & with the very best performance to boot.

This doesn't help answer the OP's question at all. Does it play gapless?

BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:
Am proud owner of oppo 105.. It has played everything I put through it.. And the sound is very clean without sounding clinycal. The pictures are as good as it gets.. I would recommend it to anyone. Not one single regret.. ever thing just works & with the very best performance to boot.

Considering the thread mentioned by Hamill then the answer is NO apparently.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:

Considering the thread mentioned by Hamill then the answer is NO apparently.

Oh sorry my mistake. May be i should have read properly... :rofl: Gapless is refering to not having spaces inbetween tracks. I suppose i got carried away... But all the same I think great product!!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Chaloff said:
GSB said:
...as for gapless streaming i'm not sure,will find out tomorow if no one else chips in.

GSB, maybe you add the last word to this sad storey? :(

Thanks,

Andrew

Chaloff, What is it you really want to know or achieve..If your question was (can it play gaplessthen that would have been staright forward).. Not everyone is farmilar with dark side of moon. Cause it started of as dark side of moon, then sense of humour, then gapless. Would really like to help.. I have yet to stream with the oppo 105.. Cause i play direct from laptop or my solid state hard drive. If it does not do gapless streaming am sure this would be corrected with a software update

I would also find out about this tomorrow cause i would be streaming sometime in the future.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Here is a link.. Seems it does not do gapless.. But I dnt think its a problem for me.. If it is for you then you may avoid it. You can use it to play gapless but this will depend on how you set it up..

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/oppo-bdp-103-and-bdp-105-networking-universal-3d-blu-ray-players.296074/page-36

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Chaloff said:
GSB said:
...as for gapless streaming i'm not sure,will find out tomorow if no one else chips in.

Thanks,

Andrew

Chaloff, What is it you really want to know or achieve..If your question was (can it play gaplessthen that would have been staright forward).. Not everyone is farmilar with dark side of moon. Cause it started of as dark side of moon, then sense of humour, then gapless. Would really like to help.. I have yet to stream with the oppo 105.. Cause i play direct from laptop or my solid state hard drive. If it does not do gapless streaming am sure this would be corrected with a software update

I would also find out about this tomorrow cause i would be streaming sometime in the future.

Why are you sure it will be corrected with a software update? Speculation masquerading as fact helps no one :shame:

BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:
Chaloff said:
GSB said:

Thanks,

Andrew

Why are you sure it will be corrected with a software update? Speculation masquerading as fact helps no one :shame:

Quite so. It is also probably rubbish as I believe it would take a hardware update to get it to play gapless.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
BenLaw said:
Native_bon said:
Chaloff said:
GSB said:

Thanks,

Andrew

Quite so. It is also probably rubbish as I believe it would take a hardware update to get it to play gapless.

Hum seem to pick up on my first post but not the second . Pls read post after that.. That may clear my statement.. I also provided a link to clearify things.

Thanx

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
You havn't posted anything new,that link was posted on this thread days ago...did you not read it?

Looks like ur a trobule maker.. I posted a link on my next post after the first and mentioned he may have to avoid the 105 if he needs it to play gapless.. Did you read my second post today..? or ur just making an argument blindly.. like most do on here,.. Check properly before you make a fool of your self..

Check the time I posted compared to ur response.,,, or check out spec savers..?

Time of post : 1:44pm

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
hammill said:
This was posted to this thread on the 13 march....you posted on the 17th... :poke:

Check the date and time for yourself...pillock :rofl:

Also if you actualy read what the link says it does state that gapless playback is Not possible.

By the way just recieved an email from Oppo uk who say the gapless playback with the likes of flac is NOT possible however their engineers are looking for a suloution.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not just Oppo, but it's bizarre how many manufacturers don't seem to have considered gapless playback as a default necessity when they are drawing-up a premium product's specs.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
hammill said:
This was posted to this thread on the 13 march....you posted on the 17th... :poke:

Also if you actualy read what the link says it does state that gapless playback is Not possible.

By the way just recieved an email from Oppo uk who say the gapless playback with the likes of flac is NOT possible however their engineers are looking for a suloution.

Now you have made a fool of urself..

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
is that right?

''urself' is spelt with a y by the way.. ;)

your original post was highlighted for not following the thread and answering the op's question choosing to post your own experiance/opinion on the 105,once you realised you went on the defensive and re-posted a link that had been posted to this thread days before,is this what you think is usefull to the op?

Pillock :poke:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
GSB said:
hammill said:

Now you have made a fool of urself..

Stop trolling NB, you're not even good at it.

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:
GSB said:
The answer to the OP'S question i'm not sure if it does,in flac.....not on my rips anyways,but that could be how they were ripped :?

Oh, GSB, I'm sorry, I was not careful and missed the idea the first time.

But how are your files ripped? Is it the same how I keep music? (Separate file for each track). What about if I would not split the whole album and use it with cue? I did not find on the OPPO's site if the 105 supports cue. And if it does - can I, for instance, choose Any Colour You Like track and then the gadget would play three last tracks gapless?

If yes, then maybe it's a solution.

Thanks!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
is that right?

''urself' is spelt with a y by the way.. ;)

your original post was highlighted for not following the thread and answering the op's question choosing to post your own experiance/opinion on the 105,once you realised you went on the defensive and re-posted a link that had been posted to this thread days before,is this what you think is usefull to the op?

Pillock :poke:

You really do have time on yours hands.. I am not on the defensive, any one who reads it can see that is far from the case.. Never will I be on the defensive. Again your just making a fool of your self... If you read my second post of the day in question, I corrected my self before you made your post. So i dnt need senseless aruguments from the likes of you.. Your key attentiom was on my wrong info not on the right one which i provided.

Anyone who reads it can see for themselves.

I think you really need to get a life ... Your beinging to bore me now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts