Can one record programmes using sky+ box without sky subscription

mchander

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello i have got sky tv where i get free to air channels only as i dont pay any subscription Someone has given me sky+ box. When i try to record programme the message comes insert you sky viewing card I just want to know if it is possible to record programmes with sky+ box without having any sky subscription Thanks

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
i like how you can actually by teh sky+ box without actually subscribing to sky tv ...... but you cant use the thing unless you pay sky ....... which means you have an expensive paper-weight :(

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
TALON1973 said:
i like how you can actually by teh sky+ box without actually subscribing to sky tv ...... but you cant use the thing unless you pay sky ....... which means you have an expensive paper-weight :(

Not strictly true, as far as I'm aware, sky don't sell boxes, they provide them to subscribers. You can buy them off the markey/ebay etc but that's not strictly the same.

Sky+ (and Sky HD come to that) are services provided by sky rather than functionality of the actual box. Indeed, if you did subscribe to sky and sky plussed a load of content to keep, if you cancel your subscription, you can keep the box but would lose the content!

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
ukdavej said:
TALON1973 said:

Not strictly true, as far as I'm aware, sky don't sell boxes, they provide them to subscribers. You can buy them off the markey/ebay etc but that's not strictly the same.

Sky+ (and Sky HD come to that) are services provided by sky rather than functionality of the actual box. Indeed, if you did subscribe to sky and sky plussed a load of content to keep, if you cancel your subscription, you can keep the box but would lose the content!

just do a google search for "sky hd box prices" shows you can buy "new" boxes , which are useless as recording devices unless you subscribe ....... you buying a hard-drive you cant use :( surprised nobodys tried taking them on in court tbh as one of the 2 main functions ( the other bit beign you can watch free to air hd ) doesn't work.

might add.... i'm not bothered about the fact i'd lose material recordign on sky owned channels , but anything on free to airs should still be accessed, and also theres zero reason to not be able to record non-sky channels

the box "as is" is not fit for purpose .... might see what tradign standards have to say .....hmm

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TALON1973 said:
ukdavej said:
TALON1973 said:

just do a google search for "sky hd box prices" shows you can buy "new" boxes , which are useless as recording devices unless you subscribe ....... you buying a hard-drive you cant use :( surprised nobodys tried taking them on in court tbh as one of the 2 main functions ( the other bit beign you can watch free to air hd ) doesn't work.

That Google search brings up a set of links to Sky, in which case you'd be subscribing or it brings up a bunch of retailers just selling the box, which they're perfectly entitled to do, as it's entirely possible to buy a box and mate it to an existing Sky viewing card (in the case of replacing a broken box for example). If someone chooses to buy a Sky box and doesn't have a subscription that's their look-out. If they want to watch and record free-to-air material without a subscription they shouldn't be buying a Sky box, it's quite simple.

the box "as is" is not fit for purpose .... might see what tradign standards have to say .....hmm

They'll say you're an idiot, Sky make it quite clear that a box without a subscription can't record, it's in all the small print (some of which isn't very small). In this case the full functionality requires a subscription "as-is". The boxes were never designed or marketed by Sky to be used without a subscription.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Talon 1973 - isn't that a bit like buying a mobile phone from e-bay, and then complaining that you can't use it because it doesn't have a SIM card - which you have to pay for?

erm......no :)

i'm buying a hd playign box that also has a hard-drive that i'd assume records....which this doesn't without subsxribing to sky :(

let me put this another way ......if you bought a cd to play in a cd player woudl you be miffed if you had to pay extra to enable you to play it ?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
TALON1973 said:
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Talon 1973 - isn't that a bit like buying a mobile phone from e-bay, and then complaining that you can't use it because it doesn't have a SIM card - which you have to pay for?

erm......no :)

i'm buying a hd playign box that also has a hard-drive that i'd assume records....which this doesn't without subsxribing to sky :(

Erm... yes :)

If you were buying a mobile phone you'd presumably assume it makes phone calls? But it doesn't without paying for network service.

daveh75

TALON1973 said:
sighs ... you dont google very well do you then :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SKY-BOX-Black-Set-Top/dp/B000FBHSBS

try finding where it says you need a subscription ?

and i can provide other links if needed ....

That link is to a reseller on Amazon, not Sky. As has been pointed out Sky clearly state in their T&Cs that you have to subscribe to use the Sky+ functionality, as do most reputable resellers, take satbuyer for example...

"Please note that the Sky+ record functionality is free, but only available to those with a new or existing Sky subscription. You cannot use the Sky+ record functionality without a subscription, starting from £19.50 per month (this also applies to recording free channels; this is not possible without a subscription to Sky)"

http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/sky-drx890-sky+hd-digibox-500gb-250gb-personal-space-p114.html

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
i'll admit to seeign that in some sections ..... but i still think sky are pulling a fast one...... you get the box free and all services when you take out a sky subscription .......then lose it all when you cancel :(

you can buy the box yourself ....but then still cant use it unless you pay for the privilege

so begs the question "why are you buyign the box" ?

its still a paperwieght ....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TALON1973 said:
i'll admit to seeign that in some sections ..... but i still think sky are pulling a fast one...... you get the box free and all services when you take out a sky subscription .......then lose it all when you cancel :(

No, you just lose the ability to record or watch a recorded program, exactly as you agreed to in the terms and conditions when you signed up.

so begs the question "why are you buyign the box" ?

Which is exactly what I said 15 hours ago, glad you finally agree.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Sky+ is a service provided by Sky. If you want to recored free to air TV without a subscription, buy a PVR - they're hardly in short supply.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Lee H said:
Sky+ is a service provided by Sky. If you want to recored free to air TV without a subscription, buy a PVR - they're hardly in short supply.

Thats an excellent point, wish I'd thought of it :help:

Chuckie_21

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I'd have to agree with TALON1973.

I understand that the terms say that you need a subscription to use the SKY+ features, but it doesn't make it fair. I paid £300 for my SKY+ HD box in addition to my subscription, at the same time SKY offered me the standard SKY box for £50, therefore I paid £250 extra for the recording hardware.

Therefore extending the mobile phone analogy, IMHO, it's not like buying phone from amazon without sim, and expecting to make calls, it's more like buying a smart phone from amazon and having all of the "smart" features disabled when I take the sim out, even if the smart features are independent of mobile data.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts