Can my speakers damage my hi-fi?

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
My Marantz MCR603 has died on me, so I am looking for a new hi-fi. Until I find a suitable replacement I was thinking of moving an older Sony hi-fi into my bedroom, but using the Mission M71 speakers I had with the Marantz.

Is there any danger of me damaging the Sony system by using these speakers? I read a topic here that talked about some speakers being harder to drive than others, specifically in relation to the Marantz MCR610. I just want to be sure before I start plugging things together.

It also makes me wonder whether using the M71s with the MCR603 might have caused problems?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TysonIvanovich said:
My Marantz MCR603 has died on me, so I am looking for a new hi-fi. Until I find a suitable replacement I was thinking of moving an older Sony hi-fi into my bedroom, but using the Mission M71 speakers I had with the Marantz.

Is there any danger of me damaging the Sony system by using these speakers? I read a topic here that talked about some speakers being harder to drive than others, specifically in relation to the Marantz MCR610. I just want to be sure before I start plugging things together.

It also makes me wonder whether using the M71s with the MCR603 might have caused problems?

Welcome to the forums.

It depends how loud you were using it and for how long. You might have cooked the amp by playing loud or bass heavy music. What is your Sony system model?

BTW give the Emotiva mini-X a-100 a look. Small compact and of decent power for an affordable price.

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
The Sony system is an old "home cinema" system, not sure of the spec. It certainly sounds like it's struggling to really get my M71s to perform, so I'm going to be nice and gentle with it. Makes me appreciate what the Marantz was giving me.

I do like heavy bass, and I did sometimes pump the volume up to 80%. Maybe that was a bit too much for the Marantz to handle, certainly something to bear in mind as I look for a replacement.

D

Deleted member 108165

TysonIvanovich said:
I do like heavy bass, and I did sometimes pump the volume up to 80%. Maybe that was a bit too much for the Marantz to handle, certainly something to bear in mind as I look for a replacement.

Then sir you have probably cooked the Marantz yourself and possibly the speakers too as 12 noon on any Marantz volume dial and you are entering clipping. I once owned a PM6004 in the days before I knew anything about clipping, at 75% on the volume dial the protection circuit shut the amp down. I wonder why the protection circuit didn't trip on your Marantz?

Vlad, you're the man for this...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts