Can I use my existing hifi equipment to create a home cinema system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a bit of a home cinema virgin but have read with interest the March edition of what hifi.

I recently invested in a 42" Pioneer PDP-4280XD plasma TV and have an old Sony DVP-NS400D DVD player, also linked to a Sky box receiving free chanels only. My hifi components (all quite old but good quality) consist KEF 103.2 SP1121 speakers (sited on the floor), Rotel RCD 9658X CD player, A60 A&R Cambridge amp and Dual 505 record deck (we have quite a lot of old vinyl). All are sited in my lounge which is 6.42x3.78M, but there is a large fireplace in the middle which means TV and hifi are located to one side.

Articles in your mag indicate that separate components should be relatively well matched to get the best results. However, I bought the plasma TV before I was aware of this. My purchasing decision was easy because of the superior picture quality of the Pioneer over other makes.

My questions are these;

1 Which receiver would be best suited to the Pioneer TV?

2 With only 4 DIN inputs and 2 speaker outlets is my current hifi amp useable; if not what should I upgrade to? I will still want to be able to listen to my records

3 My missus hates wires but will a 3.1 rather than a 5.1system cut the mustard

4 Can I retain the KEF speakers as part of a system and what should I supplement them with ie sub woofer as a minimum?

5 Can you recommend stylish rack for the tv/components

6 Have I forgotten anything?

John Duncan

ooo lots of questions.

You can do this a little bit at a time, or go the whole hog:

Softly softly approach:

First, buy an upscaling DVD player for less than a hundred quid.

Secondly, it is possible to add surround sound to your existing hifi amp very cheaply - search eBay for a Yamaha DSP-E800 (off the top of my head), but I would replace your current stereo amp (which tbh would probably be bested by even a modest receiver nowadays) - it's also worth seeking out these on eBay - you would get a Yamaha DSP-AX620 (an award winner) for fifty quid, which would be a great starting point, would sound better than your Arcam, and has a phono stage. I know this because I have one in My Drawer (because it's better off there than selling for fifty quid on eBay). If you like what you hear, then you're on your way to upgrade purgatory...........

I suggest you start with 4.0 (two front, two rear) by adding a small pair of rear speakers, rather than adding a centre - this will give you the most obvious advantage of surround sound - the 'surround' - and if you like what you hear you can add a centre to solidify and add clarity to the dialogue. If you go down that route, I think it's worth replacing your stereo fronts at the same time (for three of the same make) so that you get even tonality across all three front speakers - if not, you can get a ooooEEEEoooo (technical term) kind of effect as the sound passes across them. Leave the sub till last.

This is a modest setup, but will better your current amp, probably your CD player (when plugged into its digital input), and has a plenty good enough phono stage for your Dual.

Big bang approach:

Buy an 800 quid Onkyo receiver, a 400 quid blu-ray player, and a full 5.1 setup for a grand. Others can advise if you like the sound of this.........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
John, sorry how is a redundant receiver in your drawer better to you there than gaining £50 selling it on Ebay? I have this a lot with friends and family who ask me to sell things for them. Surely if something is in the loft/garage/drawer doing nothing, selling it and getting some money and getting out of the clutter is better than nowt? To the poster, you can set up a home cinema/music system for relatively low cost once you have your plasma./LCD sorted. It really snow balls though once you know what each component can offer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John, enough interesting stuff in your replies to keep me off-line for some time I think.

John Duncan

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]John, sorry how is a redundant receiver in your drawer better to you there than gaining £50 selling it on Ebay? I have this a lot with friends and family who ask me to sell things for them. Surely if something is in the loft/garage/drawer doing nothing, selling it and getting some money and getting out of the clutter is better than nowt?[/quote]

Two reasons, I suppose - firstly, I still harbour ambitions of getting an AV set up again (requires bigger house) and this would be plenty good enough for me; and secondly, I think I'd rather give it away/lend it to a friend or relation than sell it for next to nothing. And it's a big drawer
emotion-1.gif

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"][and if I had to choose to lose anything it would be back to 3.1 - The rears certainly add nice ambience, but for serious 'sitting down and watching' they are nowhere near as important for me as the centre.[/quote]

Thanks fr0g, you just reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. I believe that a centre channel is pretty important, so why are there 2.1 systems but almost no 3.1 systems for those of us who might not want a full-fat 5.1/6.1/7.1 set-up? Anyone any ideas?

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Following on from the above comment, can I ask a ridiculously stupid question?

I've currently got a Marantz amp and a pair of Mordaunt Shorts (both relatively cheap), and am going to buy a Onkyo 605 at some point in the near future. I've been eyeing up the Jamo A102 5.1 speakers, or possibly the new A400's. I'd hoped to go and buy all this kit at once, but realistically that aint gonna happen.

My question is: in the mean time could I wire up my MS speakers to the Onkyo then maybe buy an inexpensive centre to give me 3.1? My main worry is that my current speakers are built for stereo listening, does it matter that I'm using them for an AV purpose? Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb, i'm just unsure whether speakers are built specifically for stereo / surround listening...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts