Can i plug my TV into my amp?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi people, really simple question for you lot i hope, i want to plug the audio of my TV into my amp. Is this as straight forward as plugging interconnects from the TV to the amp? The amp has a by pass switch,not sure what this is, it says something about surround sound,which I'm guessing is not what I'm doing as this is for purely a 2 channel set up.
Thanking you, thought I'd ask before i blow something up. (New series of jools Holland tho innit).

Some newer tv's have done away with the stereo line level out and only left them with a optical out which is OK if you own a multi channel digital amp but if you just have a stereo amp with only line level inputs then you going to need some sort of dac between tv and amp.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
You can probably plug a jack to RCA cable from the headphone socket on your TV to a line in on your amp. Set the amp volume a little louder than you'd normally listen and then just use the TV remote as a volume control

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys​,thanks for replies. I was hoping Vlad's answer was going to do, but inspecting the TV manual, it has picture for the analogue audio connections,but it says "av in",which it suggests is for DVD player. It also says camcorder and game equipment goes in here. It says for amplifier i need to use hdmi2 connection.
Kinda blows!
So do you think the interconnect idea is out of the window, as this is the option I'd trust the most?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It's all inputs, only analogue audio out is via headphones. 

Those RCA pins are for component av cable (Xbox, PS etc.).
Darn it. So hdmi or headphone socket then. Any idea if my amp is that ARC? I've not heard of it before.
Cheers for your help Vlad. Very kind of you.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It's all inputs, only analogue audio out is via headphones. 

Those RCA pins are for component av cable (Xbox, PS etc.).
Darn it. So hdmi or headphone socket then. Any idea if my amp is that ARC? I've not heard of it before.
Cheers for your help Vlad. Very kind of you.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
If your TV has a headphone socket you could use a 3.5mm to twin rca cable to connect to your amp.

Edit. Sorry already suggested

Sounds like prob the only solution. Cheers for help.
Is it definitely going to be safe plugging the RCA straight into the the TV input on the amp? Anyone know? Cheers!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just connect the TV headphone output to the Line 1 or Line 2 on the Roksan K3 with a Y cable. It will be OK. Even if the TV had special RCA audio outputs, it would be the same line paralleled with the headphones. It's not for critical listening anyway.

High-Quality-New-1m-Aux-Audio-3-5mm-Stereo-to-2-font-b-RCA-b-font.jpg

Maybe get a nicer Y cable than this one on the pic. This is just for posterity.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Just connect the TV headphone output to the Line 1 or Line 2 on the Roksan K3 with a Y cable. It will be OK. Even if the TV had special RCA audio outputs, it would be the same line paralleled with the headphones. It's not for critical listening anyway.

Maybe get a nicer Y cable than this one on the pic. This is just for posterity.
Cool,thanks Vlad,good to know it'll be safe. I think I have one of those y cables knocking about somewhere. And yeah exactly,it's not for critical listening, will just save money buying a sound bar.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm guessing that you're looking to get better sound from your TV, hence your enquiry, so you could get a digital optical to analogue converter, SPDIF to RCA jobby, which worked for me until I got an amp with digital inputs, but my old Panny plasma also has analogue audio output.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
But if your tv has optical out then just plug into your dac.
Although having not read all the posts thats not an option as you would.have done it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts