Can I plug any speakers to a micro HiFi system?

HonneyZouka

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Dear HiFi community,
I got a "vintage" Technics micro HiFi system which I very much like. Model is Technics SC-HD51 Audio systems. The CD Player of this system broke... So I'm looking to buy a new one. I found some "cheap" micro HiFi systems that has CD players doing Bluetooth. Handy.
The HiFi that I'm looking to buy has 10W per channel (6ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD). I want to plug it to the Technics speakers I already got which are 60W and 6 ohms.
My question is, would the newer and apparently less powerful HiFi CD player/system I want to plug to my older Technics speakers will be able to produce enough powerfull sound ? Is it the speakers that count when mesuring the sound and power capacity or the CD player/tuner/amplifier of the micro HiFi system?

I hope I'm clear enough here :) thanks a lot for your inputs and have a great one!

HonneyZouka

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
So here is what I would like to buy to replace the CD player that broke on the Technics (photos of technics hifi system below): Panasonic Micro chaîne SC-PM251

would the panasonic be able to provide enough sound on those technics speakers? Seems it looks like it produce less W (60W for the technics VS 20W for the Panasonic), so I rather ask.

Cheers and be safe

Enceinte.jpgChaine HiFi Technics.jpg

D

Deleted member 160668

What are you able to spend? I.e., max budget? It may be better starting over.

FWIW those technics can be picked up as a whole system for about £50 2nd hand.

HonneyZouka

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Hey Amormusic, thanks for your answer.

Yeah I saw them for around £50 but there is not such deal in France, those greedy French tries to sell it at like 150€ lol.
I like the bluetooth option that the technics obviously doesnt have.

Budget is about 140€ max.

Do you know if a CD/System labeled as 10W per channel (6ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD) can be powerfull enough to render good sound and powerfull enough to get matched with the Technics speakers that says 30W (60w with the two speakers)?

Again, cheers!

matthewpiano

It all depends how loud you wish to be able to play your music, but an amplifier producing a maximum of 10wpc into 6 ohms with such high distortion is going to struggle with a lot of speakers. Put simply, there is more danger driving the speakers with an under-powered amp than with an over-powered amplifier. It is distortion that causes damage to speaker crossovers and drive units, and you're going to have plenty of it unless listening at very low volumes.

If you are working to a tight budget, I'd suggest a Denon DM-41DAB CD Receiver. It will power your Technics speakers perfectly well for now. In time, you could easily improve on your speakers without spending too much. A pair of Q Acoustics 2020i, 3020 or 3020i could be purchased second hand for a very good price and will give you a nicely rounded system with nothing to worry about.

Reactions: HonneyZouka

HonneyZouka

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
First of all thank you for the great answer Matthew, it helps!

I got a look at the Denon, but I dont think the connectic options at the back of it allow me to plug the technics speakers in, does it?

Denon.PNG

Again, have a great one ppl !

matthewpiano

First of all thank you for the great answer Matthew, it helps!

I got a look at the Denon, but I dont think the connectic options at the back of it allow me to plug the technics speakers in, does it?

View attachment 1909

Again, have a great one ppl !

Yes. You can either add screw-on 4mm banana plugs to the amp end of your cables and plug them directly into the terminals, or you can unscrew the terminals slightly on the Denon, place the bare-wire ends of speaker cable between them and the unit itself, and then screw them back up to hold the cables in place.

It's crucial to ensure that you connect positive on the speakers to positive on the amp, and negative on the speakers to negative on the amp. If you opt for the bare-wire connection you also need to make sure there is no opportunity for stray strands of cable to touch each other, as this will create a short-circuit.

If you can, get some QED 42-strand cable pre-terminated with banana plugs at the amp end. This will sound better than your existing cables and make connections easier:

Best option of all is to consider a package combining the Denon with some new speakers such as the one below, which also includes new speaker cable:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts