Can I make AirPlay speakers??

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I recently purchased apple tv2 and love to stream music from my laptop or iPhone, is it possible if I where to buy the airport express and a mini 2 channel amp (like a headphone amp)with 2 very small speakers for a conservatory or bedroom that this would work? I guess £150 or less if all from eBay, mayb £100.

Or is there cheaper alternatives out there??

Many thanks

John Duncan

Yep, that'll work. Has to be an airport express rather than an Apple TV, though, because the latest ATV has no analogue audio output. You might find an old ATV v1 on eBay for less though.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
There are some "ready made" airplay speakers out there, the phillips fideleo range being just one aroung the £150 mark, this wouldn't need an Airport Express as it has it built in. Alternetively, if you want upgradeability in the future, check out ebay for something called a T amp, these can be had for pretty cheap and do a surprisingly good job, then you just need to add some bookshelf speakers for maybe £50 second hand? Another alternative would be to go for some active bookshelf speakers and plug an Airport Express right into one of them. Were you thinking of £150 including the AE or just for the speakers and amp?

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
£150 all in... Thanks for you're ideas, one last thing, how about AE + mains powered docking station with aux input??

If so I guess I'd have to trawl thru web looking for appropriate one!!

Juzzie Wuzzie

Or ATV2 or 3 + CYP / Fiio Dac into AudioEngines (with the Dac potentially powered by the AudioEngines' USB port)?

Airport Express will do the same thing (less the need for a Dac) but doesn't have the video functionality of the ATVs.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Or ATV2 or 3 + CYP / Fiio Dac into AudioEngines (with the Dac potentially powered by the AudioEngines' USB port)?

Airport Express will do the same thing (less the need for a Dac) but doesn't have the video functionality of the ATVs.
Cyp/fiio dac-audioEngines......

Lost me right there bud!!!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, apple airport express on its way.

Now a speaker to go with it.

On eBay there is a Bose lifestyle Room mate powered speaker which Currys and pc world sell. Would this work with the AE? Will it sound good being Bose? Or shall I jog on and look for something different?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts