Can DSD files be played via Digital Coax ?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got some DSD files on a Fiio X5 portable player which i'd like to listen to on my stero system.

The Fiio has coax out which i have connected to a Cambridge Audio Bluray/SACD player, which connects to a Qutest DAC via an optical cable, which then connects to my amp via analogue cable.

All other music plays ok, but no sound when playing DSD files.

Where in the chain of connections is the DSD file failing ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Having two DACs in the system doesn't help
My setup has digital music player outputting to my Oppo universal player much like yours but then it's simply analogue out of the Oppo to amp. No problems

Last edited:

Tinman1952

I've got some DSD files on a Fiio X5 portable player which i'd like to listen to on my stero system.

The Fiio has coax out which i have connected to a Cambridge Audio Bluray/SACD player, which connects to a Qutest DAC via an optical cable, which then connects to my amp via analogue cable.

All other music plays ok, but no sound when playing DSD files.

Where in the chain of connections is the DSD file failing ?

Thanks
Yes DSD files can be played over coax but you’ve got an optical cable in your chain. Plus I don’t think the Qutest accepts DSD over optical…only via USB or Coax. Why not plug the Fiio direct into the coax on the Qutest? 🤔

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Yes DSD files can be played over coax but you’ve got an optical cable in your chain. Plus I don’t think the Qutest accepts DSD over optical…only via USB or Coax. Why not plug the Fiio direct into the coax on the Qutest? 🤔

Thanks for the above. I hadn't tried that as i've not got a coax cable with a bnc connection to hand but i'll give it a go. 👍

D

Deleted member 116933

It can do dsd over optical, not full fat. 64 I believe

Tinman1952

that's correct. Surely if DSD could be passed over coax you could copy t hat later of a SACD, and as far as I am an aware this cannot be done.
Native D SD is normally sent via HDMI or I2S
Exactly so. But it’s the sending device that prevents onward transmission by anything other than HDMI (copyright protection) not the coax connection itself….👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts