Can anyone suggest the perfect multiroom music jukebox?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a dream, but no idea if it's possible. I'd love to be able to access my MP3 collection from anywhere in the house, and I'd like everyone to be able to play different tunes in different rooms. Today, I've got a fairly meaty MP3 collection stored on one big hard drive - has anyone got any experience of a (cost-effective) way of feeding that lot around the house?

A

Anonymous

Markyp, meet Squeezebox. Squeezebox, meet Markyp. There are a few more advanced wi-fi options available, including Slim Devices' own high-end Transporter and a very sophisticated offering from Sonos, but you did say "cost-effective", right?

Each Squeezebox costs around £200 and you need to install the SlimServer software on a resident PC running Windows/OS X/Linux, although if you'd rather not have to keep a PC powered up 24/7, you can also run it off a number of NAS devices (some have SlimServer pre-installed if you're not the Linux hacker type).

Once you have the server up and running, you direct it to your music collection and once scanned and imported into your desired playlists, it will be available to any Squeezebox on your network. You can stream the same tune to multiple 'boxes, or listen to different songs on each one simultaneously. The software also enables remote access, so assuming you have a suitable broadband connection, you can even listen to your home music collection from your office computer.

You can play music in compressed (MP3, MP2, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, etc...), lossless (Apple Lossless, FLAC, WMA Lossless) or uncompressed (AIFF, WAV, PCM) formats either from your local drives or internet radio. The open-source server software has a pretty active developer community, with a number of plugins available to extend the abilities of your audio network.

haider

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Yes there is another way too. Dixons (or Currys digital!) have an internet radio box with reciva technology inside. This also allows you to pick files from your shared network and hence your PC music. Its actually very good. About 100 quid. On top of it you get internet radio as well as if from a normal kitchen top radio. Quality is far better than DAB could dream of too(broadcaster dependant). OK its not having a full blown hi-fi in every room, but its cost effective and quite user friendly.

haider

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Oh nearly 4got.

The Reciva based units dont need all that software installation etc as they work with Windows media etc. i.e. all you need to do is set you PC folder to sharing and the radio does the rest. Your music can simply become like another radio station on it, but you select the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts