NAS where to start..?

Pulpdiction

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to get a NAS device (current thinking is a Synology DS214play) to store all my music on (which is mainly stored in 320kb MP3) and is accessed/indexed via itunes on my PC currently, so I need to migrate the library onto the NAS - but I've got that covered.

So next step is to be able to access this around the house, I have a Squeezebox touch which currently is plugged into my hifi and I access using that, however I want to be able to access the music in different rooms of the house and control via an iphone or ipad as I am moving my hifi to a dedicated room and so need some other forms of playback, such as something like a B&W zeppelin. So at this point I run into reams of different ways of doing this, then potentially there is video streaming at some point, etc, etc, etc.

So what's the simplest way to get the music working, and is using a B&W type device the best way, or should I be looking at sonos? I do't want to spend thousands and can;t justify it, so what's the simplest way of achieving the floxibility and adding room by room later, if that's not too wide a question?

testpilot4321

May 20, 2009
Visit site
I tried various solutions over the years but finally settled on building my own server and never looked back.

My first build that lasted years was using the HP Micro Server as it is compact, very very cheap to run and takes up to 4 drives, I had my own licence of windows and bought the server for £100 (plus drives).

I now have a quad core PC acting as my music and video server with the HP Micro Server still storing all my files. I use Plex or DNLA to share content around the house or even when at friends houses. Everything is operated remotely using Android and App Store apps on my phones or tablets. I even stream to Now TV boxes which is a very very cheap way to get it into other rooms.

Happy to advice and help if you take this route.

TRENDING THREADS