Can a LED-tv be adjusted to have a picture like a plasma-tv ?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Can a LED-tv be adjusted to have a picture almost like a plasma-tv ? This means for me: less contrast, less brightness, blacker blacks etc..

I was thinking about buying a plasma-tv but i think they are much more prone to mechanical faillure. They are more heavy. Their technology is older than a LED, and i want to buy one for YEARS.

If so, which LED do you advise me to buy ?

Thanks

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sounds to me like you want a plasma TV. Weight shouldn't be a problem, unless you're mounting it on a particularly flimsy wall.

The age of the technology simply isn't a factor. If you prefer the picture it really doesn't matter how long plasma technology has been around. Besides, that simply means manufacturers have had more time to hone it.

As for mechanical failure, perhaps you've read a few horror stories, but I've owned two plasma televisions and had no problems with either. If it's really a worry then look to buy from somewhere like Richer Sounds, since the retailer offers five-year warranties for 10% of the purchase price (i.e. a five-year warranty for an £800 television would cost another £80).

Hope that helps reassure you.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
yes, i almost decided for a plasma-tv because of the quality of the image and the price. Although i like the smaller rim of the edgeledlit-tv's and i am a bit worried about reflections from other lightsources in the plasmascreen.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, Panasonic plasmas are pretty good at combating reflections these days, but if you'll be watching in a particularly bright room and the TV would be facing a large window then LED may be the way to go.

There'll doubtless be some who disagree, but I just can't get on with LED televisions, particularly edge-lit ones. I'm yet to view one that doesn't have issues with backlight uniformity to some degree, which tends to cause problems viewing darker scenes in low lighting.

The best advice, as always, is to audition some televisions. I'd try to find a retailer that will let you audition in a dedicated room rather than in overly-bright shop floor conditions.

For the record, I couldn't see any problems with backlighting when helping my parents choose their LED TV, but when they got it home (admittedly it wasn't the display model) the picture looked like someone was shining a torch from all four corners of the screen. I advised them to buy a plasma but they were having none of it. They thought the picture looked too soft when viewed side-by-side with LED televisions.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I don't think of watching too much television in the daytime. So that windowlight would not be the problem. Furthermore i just want an all round tv. I would like to be "in the movie" if i watch one. Also i watch some Discovery/National Geography and sports.

Could you also help me with advice on the size. I will be sitting 2 m from the screen but would like to have a movie-feeling (big screen). A big screen might be too fatiguing ?! Some people say you will rather quickly get used to a big screen. I am thinking of 46" or 50 ". In the shop, from 2 m distance, even a 55" did not seem too big.

I want to buy one that ideally lasts 10 years or so.

How much of SD will you be watching? Sports?

If you're not going to limit your TV watching to HD only, then 46 or 50 inch versions may be too large. Even fast moving images can be nauseating.

I would strongly recommend you to demo the TV in the shop prior to purchase. Stand/sit at a distance equal to your normal viewing distance at home & check DVD, blu-ray & satellite channels (at least SD channels) for 5 minutes at least. Bear in mind that satellite feeds are often shared and therefore poor in most shops. Also check out some fast moving images in sports & movies. Buy what looks best to you.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
How much of SD will you be watching? Sports? If you're not going to limit your TV watching to HD only, then 46 or 50 inch versions may be too large. Even fast moving images can be nauseating. I would strongly recommend you to demo the TV in the shop prior to purchase. Stand/sit at a distance equal to your normal viewing distance at home & check DVD, blu-ray & satellite channels (at least SD channels) for 5 minutes at least. Bear in mind that satellite feeds are often shared and therefore poor in most shops. Also check out some fast moving images in sports & movies. Buy what looks best to you.

Hi Big Boss,

Justa aquestion regarding TV Size.

I am planning to buy a plasma VT30... Was going to go with the 65 as opposed to 55. My viewing distance will be 3-3.3 meters (10-11 feet). I will be watching HD, 3D HD, some SD (dvd's, tv), and sports (Sky HD).

Is the 65VT30 good for my viewing distance and for SD? Or will the picture be bad in that case I will find the 55VT30 better?

For HD and 3D HD the 65VT30 is good for my viewing distance I think. The only thing I am concerned about is SD material like DVDs and TV.

Thanks

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi abriffa,

Appreciate you were asking bigboss for advice, but I'll chip in with my thoughts.

In your case I think it's all about priorities. What will you be watching most? If it's HD nd 3D material, then go for the larger screen. If the great bulk of your viewing will be SD content then perhaps look at smaller sizes.

Forumites often wish they's gone for a larger screen once they get used to their televisions. I'd be inclined to go for the larger screen myself. SD upscaling has improved on televisions of late, minimising many of the problems associated with earlier models.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:
Could you also help me with advice on the size. I will be sitting 2 m from the screen but would like to have a movie-feeling (big screen). A big screen might be too fatiguing ?! Some people say you will rather quickly get used to a big screen. I am thinking of 46" or 50 ". In the shop, from 2 m distance, even a 55" did not seem too big.

As bigboss states, you should really audition televisions from your normal viewing distance. That'll help you get a better feel for what suits best.

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash said:
Hi abriffa,

Appreciate you were asking bigboss for advice, but I'll chip in with my thoughts.

In your case I think it's all about priorities. What will you be watching most? If it's HD nd 3D material, then go for the larger screen. If the great bulk of your viewing will be SD content then perhaps look at smaller sizes.

Forumites often wish they's gone for a larger screen once they get used to their televisions. I'd be inclined to go for the larger screen myself. SD upscaling has improved on televisions of late, minimising many of the problems associated with earlier models.

Thanks for the reply... I appreciate it :)

I have a big collection of DVDs, but have just started collecting blu rays now instead of DVD's... so will keep increasing and watching my blu ray collection and watching Sky HD mostly for football!

So 65 is the way to go?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
abriffa said:
So 65 is the way to go?

If it were me, I'd say yes, especially as you'll be building a greater library of hi-def material. As always, though, I'd head out and audition televisions from an appropriate viewing distance, with all kinds of content, just to be sure you're happy.

I rarely watch standard def material and have been systematically replacing favourite titles from my DVD library with the Blu-ray editions. I now view standard-def material only in emergency circumstances. In other words, I think you'll naturally gravitate toward more hi-def material over time, and any concerns about viewing standard-def content will feel increasingly immaterial.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone, but please back to the LED vs. plasma story. Can LED in some way be adjusted as plasma, like dimming contrast, brightness and whitebalance ?

A

Anonymous

Rethep said:
Thanks everyone, but please back to the LED vs. plasma story. Can LED in some way be adjusted as plasma, like dimming contrast, brightness and whitebalance ?

Hi,

First of all sorry for stealing your thread mate!

Secondly... I was in your situation a month ago... I decided to go for plasma... The plasma PQ just can't be beat... It's true you need to take care of it more than an LED, but it's worth it. I saw samsung LED and then I saw Panasonic plasma (can't see samsung plasma where I live) and I was impressed with the difference in PQ. Now imagine the plasma after breaking in and calibration ;)

abriffa said:
bigboss said:
How much of SD will you be watching? Sports? If you're not going to limit your TV watching to HD only, then 46 or 50 inch versions may be too large. Even fast moving images can be nauseating. I would strongly recommend you to demo the TV in the shop prior to purchase. Stand/sit at a distance equal to your normal viewing distance at home & check DVD, blu-ray & satellite channels (at least SD channels) for 5 minutes at least. Bear in mind that satellite feeds are often shared and therefore poor in most shops. Also check out some fast moving images in sports & movies. Buy what looks best to you.

Hi Big Boss,

Justa aquestion regarding TV Size.

I am planning to buy a plasma VT30... Was going to go with the 65 as opposed to 55. My viewing distance will be 3-3.3 meters (10-11 feet). I will be watching HD, 3D HD, some SD (dvd's, tv), and sports (Sky HD).

Is the 65VT30 good for my viewing distance and for SD? Or will the picture be bad in that case I will find the 55VT30 better?

For HD and 3D HD the 65VT30 is good for my viewing distance I think. The only thing I am concerned about is SD material like DVDs and TV.

Thanks

I had answered your question in your other thread (check post #18)

I wasn't comfortable watching a 60-inch plasma from 10 feet distance, especially fast motion which was nauseating; that's why I went for a 50-inch one.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
abriffa said:
Rethep said:

Hi,

First of all sorry for stealing your thread mate!

Secondly... I was in your situation a month ago... I decided to go for plasma... The plasma PQ just can't be beat... It's true you need to take care of it more than an LED, but it's worth it. I saw samsung LED and then I saw Panasonic plasma (can't see samsung plasma where I live) and I was impressed with the difference in PQ. Now imagine the plasma after breaking in and calibration ;)

1st: No problem! We should not be overly correct i think.

2nd. What size were the tv's you watched (compared) and at what distance ?

A

Anonymous

@BigBoss... thanks for your reply... forgot about that post

@Rethep... I watched the 55" Samsung LED at about 7-8 feet and I watched the 50" VT30 (biggest they had in stock) at about 6-7 feet.

A

Anonymous

When I bought my plasma PQ was the top priority - I spent a bit more to get one but I have been pleased with my decision every time I sit down and watch it. If you want a plasma type picture - get a plasma.

I would do some more research on the size of screen though. I really, really wanted to go for a 50" and it would have looked great in the room however there are a few minimum distance tables that you should check out. If you sit less than the minimum distance away from the screen then your eyes will (unbeknown to you) start to dart around the screen and scan different areas to give you a full picture, this induces eye strain and can make you feel sick.

Knowing this, and taking it into account - I went for a 42".

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking about a Panasonic P50U30 or P46U30, or a Samsung LED 46" or 50". I really like the small rim of the Samsung and hate the heavyweight of a Plasma (34 kg for the P50U30). I do not want to watch 3d.

Any further comments ? Does an extra amber LED give a better picture ?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Just wanted to add something on size of screen. It's tricky as it's partly a personal preference.

I've seen various guidance, but two of the more useful ones are 1.5 - 1.9x the diagonal screen size, and 1.5 - 6x the horizontal width. I'd say the first is more a guide to get the cinematic picture, the second range more of a maximum and minimum for comfortable viewing. I think the THX guides just seem to recommend too big a screen size for distance.

Obviously you've then got to filter in your personal preference on whether you at the cinema site front, middle, or back, and choosing within the ranges to suit; obviously 6x width will be more a back of cinema experience.

From my own experience for TV a 26" at 3m has been fine, but at about 4m 32" is probably better. For film I've had 93" at about 3m, whihc was fine, but is now better to me at about 4m. You could go a bit smaller, but once I started to get to around 65" via experimentation it was easier to see the whole image at once, but it had lost quite a lot of the cinematic impact. Obviously this is all personal opinion.

I don't think there's a right or wrong, and there's definitely a trade of in spectacle and the ease with which you see all elements of the picture. It has to be immersive and fill your vision, but you don't want to be misssing a lot as it's out of your main view, or having to look around / move your head a lot to see it all.

If you're looking at 65" screens I'd certainly recommend considering a projector, which would be cheaper at the size, and offer flexibility in sizing going forward. You would though maybe need a supplementary TV. Projectors are good now but you'll still struggle in full sunlight with darker material.

Hope this helps a bit

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I just saw the Panasonic TX-P50GT30 plasma. It looks very very good. PQ is unlevelled by any ledtv. I think a plasmascreen can be bigger because it is less sharp and bright on the eye. Now i saw what 2d depht means because of all the black background. All ledtv's seam at once very artificial to me. Now thinking about the cash (1400 euro's.....ay).

Rethep said:
And how about buzzing sounds some people report of ?

Buzzing is not an issue in my plasma. A little bit of buzzing is normal, but that doesn't affect viewing pleasure. In the same way as LED lit LCD TVs can suffer from backlight bleed, rarely some plasmas can buzz louder than normal.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a Panasonic 50 inch Plasma and experience no buzzing at all.[almost 2 years old now] great no superb picture from all sources,Only noise I hear is with the sound muted and standing a Metre or less away its the cooling fans x 3 doing their job.Fom where I sit 5 metres away no one can hear them.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I read about image retention in the Techradar-review. Anyone experience with this, with the Panasonic 50GT30 or 46GT30 ? And on other forums i read about green spots in the picture which seemes to disappear in time, but who wants to show a new plasma to friends and telling them the "perfect plasma" image will improve in time ?????

A

Anonymous

I've had no issues with IR or buzzing, but this does not mean that they all won't. As long as your dealer will let you return it if you have problems, then you would be fine.

TRENDING THREADS