Cambrigde Audio 840C. No sound digital out.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys, got a bit of a problem here am not gettin any sound from my 840c cd players digital output. Anyone got this problem or familar with this player.. A friend brought a dac over so i could try it out but with no success. I also connect the digital cable i use for my sky box to the 840c digital output still on sound.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Can't see a switch in the menu but the manual does reference upscaling (p.16). If upscaling is selected maybe it's to something the DAC can't handle? Try setting it to bypass if it isn't already.

Always assuming you've connected to the digital out & not one of the inputs? ;)

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I had a very quick look at the manual...

There are coax and TOSLINK connectors for the two digital inputs and one digital output. The TOSLINK output should glow red as you say (may be covered by a shutter so check).

There seem to be many options in the menus but you need to make sure the DAC you connect supports the sample rate. I would try 44.1khz as that is the "CD" standard.

If you are connecting via electrical lead rather than optical then make sure the DAC accepts the signal level from the 840C. There are two standards in use AES and SPDIF.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hello Bon

I have the 740c but I've never used the digital out, only the inputs. What exactly are you using it for? recording? I may be able to shed some light. Am I right in assuming the digital out is Toslink only, not coaxial?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hello again - two things to note with this player according to the manual -

No 1 only one digital output can be used at a time - do you already have something connected to the coaxial output or vice versa?

No 2 the digital output can be tailored via the 'Menu' and 'Select' buttons on the remote to output 16, 20 or 24 bit and 48, 96 or 196 Khz - so whatever you are using for digital/audio conversion or recording will need to understand these word lengths/sample rates. Alternatively set it 'pass through' (as the poster above states) and it will output 16 bit/44.1 Khz as standard.

Good luck! Otherwise I fear it's extended warranty time or repair...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys thanx 4 all the info. There is no red light from the digital output seems like the problem was cause from the last time it went for repairs. Its out of warranty as at now. But am not paying for the repairs cause this seems to be there fault as the digital out was working before it went out 4 repairs. I think the repairs was done about 5 months ago but never used the digital section untill now.

Am hoping they fix it under warranty.

Thanx again guys.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey thanx 4 ur advice. I have tried 'pass through' but still the same problem. I had a problem with the machine before, one channel was producing noise, now this. Going to send it 4 repairs after the festive period. A very good player sound wise. But am gettin two many problems now.

Oh am only using the digital output.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts