Cambridge CXA60 or NAD C368?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I play a lot of rock and metal and like a warmer full bodied sound. Now i'm looking at a amp for my Tannoy XT6F speakers. The cambridge becomes very good reviews, but is Cambridge not bright sounding? And then the NAD? Is it wise to buy the old C356 now there is the C368? But has the C368 still the NAD sound, warm with good baas en not bright highes? I read that the C368 is digital D. I mean in the past this was cold sounding? I'm looking now at these amps, not other brands please.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
peterpan said:
I'm looking now at these amps, not other brands please.
That is fair enough, but both these amps are in different price brackets and if you intend to go the latter,800 pounds is not small money, and maybe it be better to research a little more and not limit yourself before spending, especially considering the NAD got reviewed here as a little safe and could do with get up and go. The review here is not the last word, but that is hardly a glowing recommendation for rock music

insider9

I'm in agreement with the two above opinions. I run Tannoy DC6T on the end of many different amps including some Cambridge Audio in my second system. The best pairing was the NAD C320BEE. Not the most detailed amp but very musical and fun. Good match for rock and metal. Bass was plentiful but not that well defined nor textured.

If you're determined to stick to the two mentioned brands how about second hand NAD? C320BEE shouldn't cost you more than £100. Considering it's 1/8th of a cost of the above amp it leaves a lot of money for a separate streamer/dac. Also if you were to move it on for whatever reason you're not going to lose much if at all.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I saw at a dealer a second hand Exposure 3010S2. How are these compared with Nad? Otherwise may the onder c356 vetter for me than the new c368.

rainsoothe

peterpan said:
I saw at a dealer a second hand Exposure 3010S2. How are these compared with Nad? Otherwise may the onder c356 vetter for me than the new c368.

Hey! You said no other brands! :p If you're looking for SH, go Naim Nait XS (first gen) for full bodied sound that can play rock music. My second option would be the Exposure (might not be as warm as a Nad or the XS though, but is said to strike a very good balance - don't know about the matching with the Tannoys). Try to audition?

insider9

peterpan said:
I... like a warmer full bodied sound.

Is it safe to assume you'll be upgrading speakers next? You're speakers are not warm sounding in fact they're more likely to sound too bright than too warm if partnered incorrectly.

peterpan said:
I play a lot of rock and metal.

As mentioned by Muljao NAD C368 as reviewed by What Hifi has "Lacks get-up-and-go" in against column which should disqualify it for rock and especially metal.

NAD C356 seems better suited to what you describe in this regard.

peterpan said:
I'm looking now at these amps, not other brands please.

peterpan said:
I saw at a dealer a second hand Exposure 3010S2.

Ok... :)

You've not mentioned source once. If it's a turntable then you'll need something with phono stage. If you need a dac than out of a few mentioned above only Cambridge Audio have this on board as standard.

I'd suggest a demo of all and that you decide for yourself. As you can see it's difficult to advise you when it looks like you're really confused yourself. Not saying you are, but comparing amps at 3 different price levels suggest you are. There's too many things we don't know such as your future upgrade plans, source, essential features, price of that second hand Exposure, etc.

As a rule of thumb, second hand £1,700 amp (when new) should sound better than £500 new one. But sound is very personal so no guarantee you're going to like it. I recently had a demo of £3,000 Quad source + amp which I simply wouldn't even consider at half that price.

All the best in your search. I know how frustrating it can be.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I think i will go for the NAD c368. NAD and Tannoy was always a very good match. Exposure i don't know. Not very popular here and mean that exposure has a little agressiv highs. Not good for my music.

insider9

peterpan said:
I think i will go for the NAD c368. NAD and Tannoy was always a very good match. Exposure i don't know. Not very popular here and mean that exposure has a little agressiv highs. Not good for my music.
All I can say to that is good luck. Also, make sure you buy from someone who has a good returns policy.

peterpan said:

Whatever, it's all all in the eyes of the listener as they say. Personally I think you are making a mistake, but that's just my opinion. ;-)

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
A secondhand exposure 3010S2 with warranty from the dealer can i pick up for 750,-- Euro. With a secondhand 2010S2Dac 1250,-- eURO.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I will. Maybe another amp too. I became advice also look at a valve amp, because normally they have soft highs and a warmer sound.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Might be worth checking out Yamaha models too to partner the Tannoys. I think the NAD should be fine but worth trying an amp with your speakers first to see which you like best. I might be wrong but i think both the models you mention can only be bought from one vendor each. E.g. Richersounds do Cambridge audio and Sevenoaks do the NAD gear so it may be more difficult to compare the ones you mentioned. I would be tempted to give the Pioneer A50DA or A70DA a go as well.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
By the way, i just had a look on the Richersounds website and the CXA60 is now cheaper, but the CXA80 is similar in power output to the NAD C368 and both got 4 star review along with the Pioneer A50DA - Cambridge amp still cheaper than the NAD.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I read elsewhere that the Exposure 2010S2d is the better amp.?

By the way, i' am thinking of change my speakers. They are a little bright. Epos K3, q accoustics or kef r300.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
peterpan said:
I play a lot of rock and metal and like a warmer full bodied sound.

great, short answer: cambridge cxa 80. forget the whf review, the rest of those who heard the two side by side vote for the bigger. at least the ones I know, including myself. the power is always there, the riffs feel heavy, if there is a drama in the music, you will feel it, and it has a massive reserve. the cxa 60 (which is truly a great amp) feels lightweight compared to it. I did not hear the specific nad, however others yes, and they were dull for me, with less resolution, and bass which pretends to be strong, however it is only massive and not refined.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts