Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 for a NAD C326BEE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

These forums have already understand had to get audio out of my ps3, choose my speakers (KEF IQ5SE) and amp..... so thanks for all your help!

Heres the dilema though, I brought home the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 last weekend to match to the speakers. Ive let them have it out whilst Ive been at work to break them in but I can help but find the sound a little muggy.

I just called Richersounds and they said I can do an exchange tomorrow for a NAD C326BEE.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

Theres also a similarly priced Marrantz but the shop assistants said that itd be better for jazz.

Thanks in advance, your all to helpful in here. I also find that there are a lot of answers on here to other problems I have :D

Cheers,

Si

A

Anonymous

Yes, it would definitely be a better proposition than what you have now and I am glad that richer sounds are giving you the opportunity to swap it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Not really sure why they were so certain the CA was better in the first place. Good to have my decision backed up though so thanks hi fi newbie!

Now all I gotta do is convince them to shave £20 off the graphite one so I can get a straight pennyless swap!!! - Maybe pushing my luck though :D

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As Hi Fi Newbiew said; the NAD amp would be a much better option indeed and I'm sure they'll let you sort it as a stright swap
emotion-1.gif

Have you gone down the DAC route as youre using your PS3 as a source or are you looking to change to a stand alone CDP in the near future?

A

Anonymous

Well its got enough imputs for a CDP eventually. And, theyre less hastle that turning the PS3 on and swapping discs to play music!!

I was thinking about networking the PS3 as well to my music on my computer... But thats for another day though.

Really glad everyones backing up the NAD choice!

After buying the CA SR10 from richersounds on there advice, I was surprised there isn't a single review anywhere for it! After having it at home for a week I found it frustrating as music was lacking brightness. Infact, the album that stood out for me was Jamiroquai's Travelling Without Moving. I expect a fat clear bass drum and crisp production but it was all softened and lacked definition.... presumably by the amp because I heard the speakers on a diffrent amp in richersounds and they sounded loads better!

Cheers everyone!

A

Anonymous

You could stream music, but I would still recommend buying an external dac if you go down that route
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
si_marks:
After buying the CA SR10 from richersounds on there advice, I was surprised there isn't a single review anywhere for it!

We've got the exclusive review of the new Topaz SR10, and we only received our review unit this week! That means we have to give it a good long test and the review won't be out until our June issue, out first week in May.

A

Anonymous

Well, I went in on Saturday and Richersounds sold the NAD C326BEE I was going to exchange for. They'd double reserved it!!! So, to my joy they offered an upgrade for free and they gave me NAD C355BEE. Its ace, I couldn't love it anymore.

I was right too about the CA, the NAD is an improvement 10 times over. Sound is crisp and theres more power there. I'll be intrested to see what WHF review the SR10 like.... :S

A woman even gave me her 40mins on her parking ticket to save me £1.80. Must've been my lucky day :D

Thanks everyone,

Si

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Wow there's a decent upgrade if I ever saw one
emotion-5.gif

The NAD C355BEE is a brilliant amp so enjoy it... You'll be looking to upgrade the speakers soon...

emotion-4.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Wow there's a decent upgrade if I ever saw one
emotion-5.gif

The NAD C355BEE is a brilliant amp so enjoy it... You'll be looking to upgrade the speakers soon...

emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I dont know about that, I love em!!

Plus I don't know a whole lot about them, but they are currently fairly pushed back in the room with only a few inches to the bookshelves... They sound great there as they do further forward, and I think Im right in saying a lot of other speakers need the distance.... I think? haha! Suits me because I dont have a massive front room!

emotion-42.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Speakers of that size will always sound better when away from walls as that will prevent the boomyness caused by the bass drivers.

If you can use bungs in the port(s) to dampen any boomyness but at moderate levels that should be fine
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Great, i am glad you are thrilled about your free upgrade and also it says a lot for richer sounds to

matthewpiano

You did well there. The C355BEE is substantially better than the C326BEE (fine amp thought that is).

Interesting to read your comments about the SR10 although I wonder whether it was down to a mismatch with your speakers. The KEFs need quite a lot of current through them, which NAD amplification will supply with plenty in reserve.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
si_marks:Just read the review, it was given 4 stars.....

Dont always go on reviews; the C355BEE is a damn good amp and it'll battle well with a lot of amps up to the £1k mark
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I hands down prefer it!!

Whats surprised me is that the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 did so well. Guess it may have been down to the pairing, or perhaps the speakers out did them....

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Well got a SR10 and S30 in black and Ipod Dock, all for 349 euros.

Quality of build...erm.....the tweeters came with some white dots on it , sort of a glue(taken care already...)..one of the speaker conectors on a speaker is loose, when turned all on sound only came from right speaker....turned it off , on again and worked ok...sound is ok, having had the S30 before and not having liked them, they are sounding good parteneres with the sr10.Bass (-4) treble (+4), seems a lot balanced sound like this.Speakers are each sitting on top of a book on the floor.Just hope this set lasts long.Im afraid of build quality..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts