Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 - qestions

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm putting together a serious system sometime in October. I would like to use the CA SM6 as a digital pre amp for some rather spanking Genelecs.

So questions : is the SM6 going to or have Spotify Connect? I presume the USB b input can be used as a dac for a PC? What's the user interface like?

Any user comments welcome, or other pre amp suggestions welcome, already considering the Oppo 105

Many thanks

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was unimpressed with some features of this unit as it gets upset when you have lot's of music files, as I remember, Cambridge feel (felt?) that 40,000 music files is sufficient for anyone whereas I have in excess of 70,000, & there were issues with the app (though they are not alone there)

I have the Pioneer N-50 but I know this may annoy some but have found IMO that the WD-TV Live at £50 sounds as good as any streamer I've used run through a half decent DAC, that also includes the Cyrus X2 which lived in my rack for a while - I still have a Cyrus CD transport & neither myself or anyone else has been able to tell whether the CDP/Pioneer/WD-Live is used, & this is an ongoing experiment.

But many will disagree (but yet again IMHO only) a streamer just needs to pass the digital info on to a DAC or decode the data itself, other that giving you an interface to see what you are playing I'm at a loss to understand what else they do as my PC provides the digital data - I now use most of the time the WD-Live as it uses the TV as the interface & my wife/daughter/grandchildren can’t borrow or lose the telly & it’s never flat either :wave:

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
@Neptune I completely agree. I recently moved from "Mac -> DAC" then to "Pioneer N30 -> DAC" and now "Apple Airport Express -> DAC". There really isn't any difference at this point as long as jitter isn't ridiculously high (nor should it be for any half decent modern device).

The reason for ditching the Pioneer for the AEX is that I found the best way to use the Pioneer was with Airplay - so I thought "why do I even need the Pioneer at all".

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply. I didn't know there was a version 2 out. Will check it out.

It's important to me that it has balanced outputs , can be used as a dac and has a remote. So whilst there are other excellent streaming options out there , I really would like these above features.

So I guess a great dac with remote would do but spotify connect would be a bonus.

Does anyone know if CA are bring out a new dac magic plus....... maybe with a remote?

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts