Cambridge Audio Dacmagic

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

a.g.:If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Have you tried other DACs to compare the DACMagic to?

I want to buy a new DAC in the £200 range but I'm a bit torn between the DACMagic, the Keces DA-131.1 and the (in used form, if I'm able to find one) CIAudio VDA-2.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
a.g.:I'm pleased to report that my DACmagic finally arrived today, and it most certainly lives up to the hype!

I cannot believe how it has transformed a cheapo DVD player. I'd be amazed if there's any CD player below £300 that can match this disc spinning setup. Whoever said that there's no punch to it needs their ears cleaned out, it's superb! I really cannot fault it, and I've not even tried it with a decent transport yet (will dig out my old Marantz CD4000 later).

And yes, it works on Linux! I'm still trying to find out how to change the sample rate to 96kHz (it defaults to 48kHz in my OpenSUSE 11.0 system) and will post back if I have a result.

A pleasing point is that it JUST fits on the bottom shelf of my Atacama Equinox when it's sitting vertically in its little stand.

Sonically I haven't had it for long enough to be able to do a proper write-up of it, but my first impressions are that it gives a HUGE soundstage with great seperation between instruments, sweet vocals, and plenty of kick.

The different filter settings do make a difference, making this a truly great unit which could find a home in virtually any mid-end setup.

All I can say is go out and buy one, you will NOT be disappointed!

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

I may be wrong here but I thought that the rate shown by the little blue LED is the rate being fed to the DAC not the rate that was being output.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:a.g.:I'm pleased to report that my DACmagic finally arrived today, and it most certainly lives up to the hype!

I cannot believe how it has transformed a cheapo DVD player. I'd be amazed if there's any CD player below £300 that can match this disc spinning setup. Whoever said that there's no punch to it needs their ears cleaned out, it's superb! I really cannot fault it, and I've not even tried it with a decent transport yet (will dig out my old Marantz CD4000 later).

And yes, it works on Linux! I'm still trying to find out how to change the sample rate to 96kHz (it defaults to 48kHz in my OpenSUSE 11.0 system) and will post back if I have a result.

A pleasing point is that it JUST fits on the bottom shelf of my Atacama Equinox when it's sitting vertically in its little stand.

Sonically I haven't had it for long enough to be able to do a proper write-up of it, but my first impressions are that it gives a HUGE soundstage with great seperation between instruments, sweet vocals, and plenty of kick.

The different filter settings do make a difference, making this a truly great unit which could find a home in virtually any mid-end setup.

All I can say is go out and buy one, you will NOT be disappointed!

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

I may be wrong here but I thought that the rate shown by the little blue LED is the rate being fed to the DAC not the rate that was being output.

Switch on the external source input, e.g. CD player, DVD player, etc.
The sampling frequency of the Digital Input will be displayed on the front
panel (e.g. for a CD player - 44.1kHz). Momentarily press the Filter/Phase
selector button to cycle between three different filter modes.
Start playback of the source equipment. The DacMagic will output analogue
audio from the Unbalanced/Balanced outputs upsampled to 192kHz 24bit.
A 'raw' S/P DIF co-axial and TOSLINK optical digital output is also provided.
These outputs can be used to connect a compatible digital recorder, e.g.
CD-R/MD, etc. The DacMagic is compatible with Digital Stereo LPCM of a
sampling frequency between 32-96kHz.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Which leaves out true 24bit material, I believe you need wolfson's next DAC up for that rather than the 8740's used. Still, not much material around at the moment. Yes, great DAC a.g. though you can hear the difference when listening to better players. Whether its worth the additional outlay (and you have to pay more) really depends on the system but I'd say for a lot of people it is'nt. I could happily live with one.

A

Anonymous

Drummerman - how does the DAC Magic compare with the DACs in the ADM9.1s? How do you think the DAC Magic would fare if you passed it's moutput into the analogue in?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Which leaves out true 24bit material, I believe you need wolfson's next DAC up for that rather than the 8740's used. Still, not much material around at the moment. Yes, great DAC a.g. though you can hear the difference when listening to better players. Whether its worth the additional outlay (and you have to pay more) really depends on the system but I'd say for a lot of people it is'nt. I could happily live with one.

I don't understand DM, did you post this before you read mine or were you answering mine?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
Drummerman - how does the DAC Magic compare with the DACs in the ADM9.1s? How do you think the DAC Magic would fare if you passed it's moutput into the analogue in?

I/we did'nt try that as the DM was in our opinion not up to the 840C's quality. We did however try the 840C both through the AVI's internal DAC and using its own upsampling, easily done by simply switching inputs via R/C. Most of the time we could'nt say which one was playing, it was that close. I suppose this say a lot about the quality of both though in truth the DM is not that far behind but I posted enough on that. Glad you liked the actives if I understud you correctly, especially in light of the quality of your current system.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:drummerman:Which leaves out true 24bit material, I believe you need wolfson's next DAC up for that rather than the 8740's used. Still, not much material around at the moment. Yes, great DAC a.g. though you can hear the difference when listening to better players. Whether its worth the additional outlay (and you have to pay more) really depends on the system but I'd say for a lot of people it is'nt. I could happily live with one.

I don't understand DM, did you post this before you read mine or were you answering mine?

Sorry Gerrardasnails, I'm just whaffling on today.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
runeks:
a.g.:If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Have you tried other DACs to compare the DACMagic to?

I want to buy a new DAC in the £200 range but I'm a bit torn between the DACMagic, the Keces DA-131.1 and the (in used form, if I'm able to find one) CIAudio VDA-2.

Unfortunately I don't have another DAC to compare this to. What DAC you end up buying is up to you, but I doubt you'd be unhappy with the DACmagic.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:I may be wrong here but I thought that the rate shown by the little blue LED is the rate being fed to the DAC not the rate that was being output.

Indeed it is. I want to change the output of my computer to something higher to see how it sounds.

A

Anonymous

a.g,

Glad to hear the device is recognised in Linux. Assuming you are connecting from your PC via the USB input, then isn't 48kHz your upper input limit which the DAC then upsamples?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
a.g.:[snip].....I want to change the output of my computer to something higher to see how it sounds.

Not sure that is necessarily the best idea unless you've got quality upsampling software on your PC/Mac/Source.

Personally, I've worked hard to ensure that I've got 44.1kHz (same as the original cd) feeding my DAC and letting the DAC handle any upsampling.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
a.g.:Gerrardasnails:I may be wrong here but I thought that the rate shown by the little blue LED is the rate being fed to the DAC not the rate that was being output.

Indeed it is. I want to change the output of my computer to something higher to see how it sounds.

I've finally set my media center extender up. I'm now sending wav files to the extender which is connect to the DacMagic. The sound? Better than from cd. I suppose this is no surprise to people who understand how it all works (I'm not one of them). I am amazed and very happy. Parties at my house from now on will involve me clicking on "shuffle" on my screen and not having to worry about changing a cd again!!!

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
BrightSpark:
a.g,

Glad to hear the device is recognised in Linux. Assuming you are connecting from your PC via the USB input, then isn't 48kHz your upper input limit which the DAC then upsamples?

I'm not sure, the manual says that it can upsample 96kHz but doesn't state whether that applies to the USB input or just the optical/coax inputs.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:a.g.:[snip].....I want to change the output of my computer to something higher to see how it sounds.

Not sure that is necessarily the best idea unless you've got quality upsampling software on your PC/Mac/Source.

Personally, I've worked hard to ensure that I've got 44.1kHz (same as the original cd) feeding my DAC and letting the DAC handle any upsampling.

I suspect you're right and that keeping the output from the PC at 44.1kHz is the best bet but I'm just interested in seeing the difference, if there is any. No harm in experimenting (quiet at the back...). Even so, I'm more than happy. Even 128kbps MP3s that I'd normally turn my nose up at sound reasonable, if a bit claustrophobic and flat sometimes.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
a.g.:PJPro:a.g.:[snip].....I want to change the output of my computer to something higher to see how it sounds.

I suspect you're right and that keeping the output from the PC at 44.1kHz is the best bet but I'm just interested in seeing the difference, if there is any. No harm in experimenting (quiet at the back...). Even so, I'm more than happy. Even 128kbps MP3s that I'd normally turn my nose up at sound reasonable, if a bit claustrophobic and flat sometimes.

Whack some lossless files into it and you will be smiling.

Sorry John!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattc76:So anyway: How does it compare with the Beresford? Is it worth ditching Stanley's nifty number for the DACmagic??

I've not listened to the Beresford but I would wager that the DM is better by a fair bit. You could buy one and try it and sell it on ebay if you weren't happy and you would lose no more than £20. Seriously, I am astonished at the quality from my wav files on the media extender.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:mattc76:So anyway: How does it compare with the Beresford? Is it worth ditching Stanley's nifty number for the DACmagic??

I've not listened to the Beresford but I would wager that the DM is better by a fair bit. You could buy one and try it and sell it on ebay if you weren't happy and you would lose no more than £20. Seriously, I am astonished at the quality from my wav files on the media extender.

Hmmm, very tempting. Did we also come to a consensus as to which CA cd player it compared to ie 740/840c ??

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:mattc76:So anyway: How does it compare with the Beresford? Is it worth ditching Stanley's nifty number for the DACmagic??

Someone really should do that comparison. At this rate, i might have to do it myself.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
al7478:Gerrardasnails:mattc76:So anyway: How does it compare with the Beresford? Is it worth ditching Stanley's nifty number for the DACmagic??

Someone really should do that comparison. At this rate, i might have to do it myself.

I believe the very provider of this forum has done so ... just an idea.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, we of course compared the Cambridge vs the Beresford in our DAC round-up - they're both excellent at their respective pricepoints. Yes, the Cambridge is noticeably better, but it's not a major leap up in performance from the Beresford (and neither would you expect one for just £80 more).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
al7478:Gerrardasnails:mattc76:So anyway: How does it compare with the Beresford? Is it worth ditching Stanley's nifty number for the DACmagic??

True, but if you already have a beresford, as i have, you may aswell hear the difference for yourself. and i fancy having a fiddle with those phase filters; must admit my initial inexperienced, knee-jerk reaction is "gimmick".

John Duncan

al7478:drummerman:

True, but if you already have a beresford, as i have, you may aswell hear the difference for yourself. and i fancy having a fiddle with those phase filters; must admit my initial inexperienced, knee-jerk reaction is "gimmick".

Yeah, so did I, though another magazine (
emotion-8.gif
) said that they can be more effective for simpler and more complex music respectively. And then they made it their product of the year, I think
emotion-2.gif

When mine arrives am hoping to *** round a Beresford-owning colleagues house (or just lend it to him) for an A/B.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts