Cambridge Audio Dacmagic

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Its a fine DAC with good connectivity/versatility. The filter options are subtle but worthwile. Add it to a Denon 685 and it slightly broadens the soundstage at slight cost to punch and focus, the usual upsampling 'side effects' when done to a budget and no criticism for the price. Handy thing for multi media connections. I got another thread going so perhaps will write a bit more about it.

Now you've got me worried that it will deprive my system of some punch but hopefully I'll be able to find a filtering setting that I like. Can't wait to get my hands on it! The last time I had an upsampling DAC (in an Arcam CD192) I disliked it so much that I sent it back so hopefully this will be a better experience.

A

Anonymous

aii, the punch coment has just taken my justification away. I hoped it was a serious foot tapper.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry mate. The Denon just happens to be really good in that respect and the CA does'nt take much away but improves things noticeably in others. Then there are the filters and connections.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
friendly1_uk:aii, the punch coment has just taken my justification away. I hoped it was a serious foot tapper.

From the WHF review:

It sounds great too, combining the timing, clarity and punch of Beresford's £120 TC-7510 with a healthy dose of the £160 Musical Fidelity V-Dac's midrange fluidity and richness.

So already we have conflicting opinions! I will post my impressions of it once I've used it for a few days and you can draw your own conclusions from that. Maybe it improves with use, who knows? Hard to tell when you're not yet in possession of one.

A

Anonymous

Anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison with the Beresford yet? I know the what hi-fi team made some comparisons, but there is nothing like a community review.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Brisk:Anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison with the Beresford yet? I know the what hi-fi team made some comparisons, but there is nothing like a community review.

Thats what im waiting for too, tho id still need to hear it myself.

A

Anonymous

Quoting the dacmagic manual

ÿ"The DacMagic is fitted with two sets of digital inputs which enable the connection of source

components. Each input has both S/P DIF and TOSLINK types fitted.

Only one of the two types for each input should be connected at any one time. If both the optical and

co-axial outputs have connections made to them (even if only one is attempting to function), neither

will work."ÿ

ÿ

so one at a timeÿ

A

Anonymous

Interesting... can someone explain me what is the best way of connecting it to the macbook? According to specs Macbook have optical audio out - is it better than "normal" analog output? "For digital audio, a standard toslink cable with a toslink mini-plug adapter can be used." - so:

Macbook ------>toslink------>Dacmagic----->Amplifier

and CD Player---->what cable???---->Dacmagic----->Amplifier

I'm getting confused with all those connections:) Help:)

Dan

John Duncan

Macbook only has optical, so you're right there.

Generally accepted that electrical (ie coax) is better for a CD player, though I've never had the energy to do serious comparison - you may find yours only has one option anyway (of my last three CD players, two have only had electrical).

A

Anonymous

Macbook ------>toslink------>Dacmagic----->Amplifier (correct)
CD Player---->TOSHLINK OR DIGITAL COAXIAL (dependent on the digital output from your cd player)---->Dacmagic----->Amplifier
Just look at the CD players instructions.
Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

You can also do USB out, but various people including the elusive cambridge audio ceo have suggested that optical is the way to go with computer audio out.ÿ

Given that the dacmagic has only two spdif inputs and a computer will use one, then there is a CD player, a TV and a games console, does such a thing as a digital optical audio switch exist that people would recommend. Hunting on google shows some rough and ready versions and some which do video too.

Knowing that a decent toslink audio switch existed would be good.

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Well mine has arrived (in somebody else's house) today.......

Let us know what you think. Perhaps more than the usual two liners ... come out of your shell
emotion-5.gif

How do you think it compares with your cdp?

A

Anonymous

its dissapointing that the usb input is only 16 bit, as the pc seems to me to be the only thing i want to connect that can use the higher bit rates. for my needs, i may aswell forget the 24 bit capability, which my maths tell me is a third of its performance i wont use.the other inputs will be cd player and dvd recorder(with freeview radio).

thanks drummerman

edit: just been looking up freeview radio rates. all ive found is a user on here's post, but its 192Khz. Very good, if the dac could see past 96. This product keeps shooting me in the foot. There needs to be a mk2 that allows higher input rates on all accounts. why up-sample when the real detail is there

A

Anonymous

friendly1_uk:

JohnDuncan:Well I'm getting one to play 24/192 files from my computer, which should kick CD butt..........

Sorry... I dont even know what a flac file is. sounds like an optional extra for a combat jacket. Long as its no more than 24 bits of info at 192khz then it should be fine though. Ofcource if you give it info at over 192khz its going to miss bits.

My bad. Its not good for 192Khz, its 96Khz.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think its a great box for connectivity with fine if not great sound but I think they should have spent the cash elsewhere. The latest Wolfson DAC's (probably only costing £3.00 or so each) for example which, apparently, excel with 24bit material would have made more sense than balanced operation. I don't think many people with such amps would use the Dacmagic but I understand there has to be some product hirarchy in the companies portfolio. Still, very good vfm at £200.

John Duncan

drummerman:
JohnDuncan:Well mine has arrived (in somebody else's house) today.......

Let us know what you think. Perhaps more than the usual two liners ... come out of your shell
emotion-5.gif

How do you think it compares with your cdp?

I will, but it's not going to be for ages. For starters, it's in Edinburgh, and the guy who got it for me is doing his own tests this weekend (against a Moon something-or-other), and when it comes to me it'll need to wait for my rig to come out of storage (which could be next year, if the builders continue to not turn up). On the plus side, however, I guy at work just got a Beresford, so we may go round his house and do an A/B/C with his Naim CD5x.....

I'm useless at hifi reviews though - "It sounds great". I do a mean film review for the Sandhurst Directory though
emotion-5.gif

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm still wating on friggin' CityLink to deliver mine, but I've noticed that CA have uploaded the manual to their website.

Direct link:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/AP239051DacMagicUserManual01English.pdf

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm pleased to report that my DACmagic finally arrived today, and it most certainly lives up to the hype!

I cannot believe how it has transformed a cheapo DVD player. I'd be amazed if there's any CD player below £300 that can match this disc spinning setup. Whoever said that there's no punch to it needs their ears cleaned out, it's superb! I really cannot fault it, and I've not even tried it with a decent transport yet (will dig out my old Marantz CD4000 later).

And yes, it works on Linux! I'm still trying to find out how to change the sample rate to 96kHz (it defaults to 48kHz in my OpenSUSE 11.0 system) and will post back if I have a result.

A pleasing point is that it JUST fits on the bottom shelf of my Atacama Equinox when it's sitting vertically in its little stand.

Sonically I haven't had it for long enough to be able to do a proper write-up of it, but my first impressions are that it gives a HUGE soundstage with great seperation between instruments, sweet vocals, and plenty of kick.

The different filter settings do make a difference, making this a truly great unit which could find a home in virtually any mid-end setup.

All I can say is go out and buy one, you will NOT be disappointed!

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

John Duncan

Well my mate has had a play and says "I did use it with an iPod dock and with a laptop and I have to say it's a fine device. Not so fine as to worry anyone over there at Moon [he has one of their expensive players], it has to be said."

ie he's only used USB, not SPDIF. He will do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts