Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS vs Audioquest Dragonfly

gasolin

I found in a onlinestore a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS dac only slightly used for half price

Im interested in upgrading my dac and have been that for 1-2 weeks

Im asking here instead of the computer bade media forum since i think i will get a better responce here

How god is the dac, it started getting 5 starts now it only has 4 stars,all of the Audioquest dragonfly from ver 1.2 got 5 stars

Is the The new black audioquest dragonfly better? It costs 50% more than the use Dacmagic XS, i can also get the black Dragonfly 1.2 for the same price as the Dacmagic XS

gasolin

insider9 said:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to star rating. What are you upgrading from?

M2Tech Hiface 2, TC Electronic BMC-2 Wouldn't mind having the Audioquest Dragonfly Red but it's to expensive

e8a165f844.jpg

yfvqxeiwjrfgsnkh2phi.jpg

Some say the Dacmagic XS sometimes struggles a little with timing, http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-usb-headphone-amps_round-up_Page-6

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I own the 'old' Dragonfly and the DacMagic XS. To me the DacMagic sounds more neutral. I have the impression that the Dragonfly is somewhat warmer than other DACs, which is not a bad thing per se. That doesn't mean that it obscures detail. Other than that I find it hard to perceive differences, not being a dedicated audiophile with golden ears.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Probably a reason the dacmagic loses a star is as things progress with DACs especially, you get more file compatibility and not having to use drivers etc.

I've heard good things about the little dacmagic

gasolin

muljao said:
Probably a reason the dacmagic loses a star is as things progress with DACs especially, you get more file compatibility and not having to use drivers etc.

I've heard good things about the little dacmagic

Dali Zensor 1 also have lost 1 star but zenzor 3 have stil 5 stars,shouldn't have because only difference is bass and zensor 1 of course wouldn't have as much bass as zensor 3

Back to the dac

I can get it used for 60% for the retail price

45% in a onlinestore (little extra for delivery) here i can return it

Theres a v2 version, what is the diffrence? https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-USB-Headphone/dp/B015JESV4S

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The new(est) DF Black and Red use the latest ESS mobile chips. They measure slightly better but the real benefit is less battery consumption on a mobile device.

There is also talk that they will be updated to fully process MQA if thats important to you.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I don't know the M2Tech DAC you own, but the price seems to be in the same order as the DacMagic and the Dragonfly. My experience up to now for similarly priced DACs in that range is that they are fairly interchangeable (as I posted above). If you are looking for a real upgrade I doubt whether you're going to get this. I've got four portable USB-DACs under € 200 and there are no major differences besides functionality (DSD or not, kind of volume control). Similarly with the other DACs at my disposal (in 3 amps or streamers).

So if you can't really spare the money I would give it a pass. If you don't mind the expense, it is fun to play around with another gadget. But don't expect to be blown away.

gasolin

Barbapapa said:
I don't know the M2Tech DAC you own, but the price seems to be in the same order as the DacMagic and the Dragonfly. My experience up to now for similarly priced DACs in that range is that they are fairly interchangeable (as I posted above). If you are looking for a real upgrade I doubt whether you're going to get this. I've got four portable USB-DACs under € 200 and there are no major differences besides functionality (DSD or not, kind of volume control). Similarly with the other DACs at my disposal (in 3 amps or streamers).

So if you can't really spare the money I would give it a pass. If you don't mind the expense, it is fun to play around with another gadget. But don't expect to be blown away.

http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/hiFace%20Two%20Tone%20Audio%2010-2012.pdf

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/m2tech_hiface2_e.html

gasolin

I read alot of review opinions and found out it could have some background noise

I have seen a review and read about it in another forum.

I have just ordered a HiFime Sabre 9018 USB DAC for 70£ on amazon uk with express delivery

Just between the price of a new dragonfly black and a used cambridge DacMagic XS

http://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

Now i just need a good minijack to phono interconnect (supra)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
A decent DAC. I use the Spdif version on the CCA.

Its an expansive sound with a wide'ish sound stage very slightly at cost to drive and focus. Measures superbly. - It uses an ESS 9018k2m, also used in several expensive DAC's.

I also have the original DF.

gasolin

drummerman said:
A decent DAC. I use the Spdif version on the CCA.

Its an expansive sound with a wide'ish sound stage very slightly at cost to drive and focus. Measures superbly. - It uses an ESS 9018k2m, also used in several expensive DAC's.

I also have the original DF.

CCA?

gasolin

Already got the HiFime Sabre 9018 USB DAC and it sound good with a wide and deep sound (soundtage not refering to the bass) supra biline mini jack to rca/phono, good,less bloated bass and a slightly brighter top, it could on some track sound mabye a bit to bright (burn in),atleast a little brighter,thinner than i'm used to

I will give it a week before i deside if i want to keep it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts