Cambridge Audio budget system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have found a good deal on the Cambridge Audio CD5 cd player and the A1 version 3 amplifier and I was wondering, for starters, whether they were any good? (considering the price and that they are entry level seperates) because there isn't a review on the this website.

Secondly, would they go well together? I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's but this would be my first proper hi-fi system, and I figured even a budget seperates system is better than using a micro system.

Thanks!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Those are both quite elderly models (the A1mk3 is at least eight years old to my knowledge), which is why they no longer feature in our Buying Guide.

Paired with your BR2s, though, I'd anticipate them sounding nicer than a budget micro - but it really depends on how good a deal you're getting.

A

Anonymous

I can stretch my budget a bit further if needed, I do want to end up with a system that'll enjoy for a good few years to come, upgrading later down the line.

I have found the Cambridge Audio Azur 340C cd player and the Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE at a good price too, presumably these would pair up well together? Also, Cambridge Audio Azur 340A or the SE version?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The 340s are better products, no doubt about it, make a good pair and will suit your speakers. 'SE' version of the amp provided it's not at a big premium.

A

Anonymous

oh the decisions... on Superfi's website they have two systems that come out cheaper than the Cambridge Audio's-

NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & Q ACOUSTICS 1020i SPEAKERS SEPARATES SYSTEM - £370

NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM SPEAKERS SEPARATES - £340

Any thoughts??

I promise that'll be the last query! My lack of hi-fi experience doesn't help matters

A

Anonymous

that's true, however for the price of getting the Cambridge Audio system, I could have the NAD system and a pair of speakers, whether I use them or not!

A

Anonymous

have you looked on the richersounds website, They have what your after at good prices.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You need to arrange demos of both the Cambridge and NAD electronics and take your speakers along with you. If you prefer the NAD set-up, well, you've got some free speakers to stick on ebay (other online auction sites are available) and a system you enjoy. If you prefer the Cambridge approach, then that's all good too.

A

Anonymous

Have you considered going second hand, maybe from ebay you would get more for your money.

A

Anonymous

Forget the CD 5, (I used to have one and it's pure cack) go for a second hand azur 540C, there's one at 99p on ebay!

A

Anonymous

When I bought the azur 540C, I realized just how bad the CD5 sounded.

ÿ

I want to sell my 540C (Black and mint cond) v soon I think.....

ÿ

How much do you think is reasonable price?ÿ

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps you should negotiate with Lord_Monkfish - I know he's in the market for a decent budget CD player.

What will you be replacing it with? And do you anticipate your new player making the 540C sound cack?

matthewpiano

I'd suggest the 2nd hand route. The BR2s need better amplification than the entry level Cambridge stuff can provide. They are pretty revealing speakers actually. I'd be looking (as a minimum) at a second hand NAD C325BEE, Denon or Arcam for amplification.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup; 2nd hand all the way for me as well.

You could pick up a decent Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp as well as a decent NAD C320BEE integrated amp for good money on eBay. Plenty of CDP's to choose from as well...

If you do want brand new IMO youd be best to go for one of the NAD systems on Superfi and maybe sell the speakers on eBay afterwards or speak to Superfi and see if they can do you a deal.

The C/A system you have mentioned is too old now and TBH; would sound cack compared to the above mentioned

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979: would sound cack compared to the above mentioned

ÿ

I concur

a 540C just went on ebay for £110

i think I will put mine on soon - I will be replacing it with, dun dun dunnnnn an iPod Classic !

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
That's good advice to demo both CA and NAD equipment with your own speakers. If, for example, you found you preferred the NAD separates, you could easily sell the Tannoys on an internet auction site, thereby clawing back about £80 to £90 of the £342 Superfi are charging for that system, leaving you with a cracking budget NAD system for about £250. You would also benefit from the peace of mind that comes with brand new equipment that has a NAD 2 year warranty (Superfi are official NAD suppliers).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the help everyone, I think the best option will be to pop into my local hi-fi shop and give what they've got a good testing.

In the event I can't get my Monitor Audio's BR1's (correction - not BR2's unfortunately as I previousy stated!) down to the shop, are there any similar sounding speakers I could use for the purpose of listening to an amp and cd player?

A

Anonymous

I can't believe Richer Sounds have the neck to still sell those old A1/A3/A5 and CD5 sheds. I used to have an A5 (briefly) and have heard several.... completely gutless and unmusical. 60 WPC apparently....not sure where all those watts go, mind.

And this is coming from an Azur 540A II owner! Hardly top quality or regarded as musical or warm, but light years ahead of the A5.

A

Anonymous

Carrying on with the subject of budget systems, how does the Denon DM37 stack up against a budget seperates system? Bearing in mind I'd not use the supplied speakers but some MA Bronze BR1's

A

Anonymous

It would be no where near as good. Go for separates then you can upgrade in the future.

A

Anonymous

Well my lack of hifi knowledge has again showed itself... these speakers were given to me and I always struggled to find what model they were - I presumed they were either bronze br1's or 2's because they basically looked the same (but not quite...)!

I've discovered they're monitor audio silver 3i's, but can find nothing about them on the web... anyone care to share some insight into these speakers?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I believe the silver 3is were the grandad of the RS1s so to speak, so were probably around £250-300 in their day.

I would say avoid the A5 (my views on this amp have been well documented on here), and maybe look for something like a Cyrus 2 / Audiolab 8000a / Arcam Alpha 9 (with the Cyrus being at the brightest end of the scale, and the Arcam the smoother end).

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes; the Silver 3is' were where the RS1's of today stemmed.

Good speakers but a little bright if matched with the wrong separates.

M/A and Arcam gel very well together (as mentioned above) and also NAD gels well with M/A speakers too.

IMO; you can deffo get more bang for your buck going down the 2nd hand hifi route via eBay or audiophilecandy/2ndhandhifi etc...

TRENDING THREADS